Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hypothertical swap

would the aisin (iirc) c4s transmission mate up to a gt3rs motor? possibly with the use of a custom bell housing piece? then one could theoretically have a 4 wheel drive gt3rs, and with some money spent on suspension, a daily driven all wheel drive N/A super car... or would it just be cheaper to tear the 3.6 motor apart, do new rods, pistons, maybe bore it out, etc... just a little day dreaming ...

Yea, but living in CT, and driving the car year round would preclude me from going gt3. the obvious route here is buy a gt3rs, and a truck, but i really really dislike driving trucks/suv's.

but yea, money will buy whatever you want, but technically speaking, is it a direct swap?

I thought I read somewhere the GT3 engine family won't just bolt up to a transmission that mates to an M96 engine.

Did you think of just getting a used 996 Turbo? Probably less expensive than trying to mate a C4S tranny to a GT3RS motor, remains stock Porsche, plenty of power, AWD and same race proven engine casing as the GT3 motor. There are supposed to be great deals on 996 Turbos now

Or look at what Jake Raby can do to a C4S engine in terms of getting closer to GT3 engine performance, but keeping a more or less stock (and maintainable) engine/tranny configuration?

Or just get an all wheel drive Panamera?

Just mating a GT3RS engine to a C4S still wouldn't make it anywhere near a GT3, and either of the three options I listed might be easier to live with on a daily basis (not to mention more reliable and less expensive). But don't knock the Cayenne - for an SUV it's an amazing ride

have considered the turbo, dont need a 4 seater, and theres something magical about 8500 rpm naturally aspirated that gets me every time. a gt3rs engine + c4s certainly doesnt make anything special, but iirc, all the GT cars are built on c4/s platforms due to their stiffer off the line structures. id seam weld the hell out of the thing, and of course suspension work would need to be in order to make anything that can carry a GT title. very reasonable to say that unless this became a pure project car and did everything myself, this would be a nightmare to complete. importantly, as youve pointed out, the first thing to figure out is whether an LM1 engine will fit up with a c4s trans.

in the end, this hypo will push me to do the following; break down the engine, contact a rod/piston manufacturer, and have them optimize rod ration so i can have a nice long rod, short piston with the wrist pin located way down so i can have a super short stroke and achieve some astronomical rev range, while keeping inertia and side stress on the wrist pin/rod journals in check so i dont break something. port match the intake and exhaust ports, bigger cams, bore the throttle body, etc. classic engine build stuff. Jake will invariably be my go to, though fahrnbacher and Daniel Jacob's Hairy Dog Garage are relatively close and both run terrific machine shops. anyways, its fun to day dream...

I'd be happy to spend some time with you to see if my program fits your needs. The new 3.8 and 4 liter combinations should be integrated into the program by Spring 2010. With my program the DME alterations, subsystems and etc are all part of the package since its a completely matched system right out of the box. We know what does and doesn't work so you don't have to worry about it.

I'd be happy to spend some time with you to see if my program fits your needs. The new 3.8 and 4 liter combinations should be integrated into the program by Spring 2010. With my program the DME alterations, subsystems and etc are all part of the package since its a completely matched system right out of the box. We know what does and doesn't work so you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks Jake, id like to take some time to chat with you on the phone, and determine where im going with this project. by the end of Q1 2010, im hoping to finish suspension/wheels and tires, and a few minor aesthetic details. prepackaged items are great for their consistency and reliability, but im a huge fan of playing at the bleeding edge of reasonable, so im not afraid of talking about adding in longer rods/shorter piston combos, maybe an ITB setup, etc. its a shame the 996 isnt a showcase car anymore, but thats not to say it cant achieve some great things anyways. please PM me, we'll set up some time to chat.

Thanks!