Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Leaking Engine Mount

This morning I jacked up the car to block it up for the winter. Came out later and there's a small puddle of oil and find it came from the left rear engine mount. I did jack up the rear by placing the jack under the engine knob jack point. Did I cause this problem by using the wrong procedure?

• Moderators
Oh dear... not this again. Yes the mount has been damaged and replace them in pairs. Search the site and you'll find post on this subject.

Yes, the mount finally failed, which means the other one is not far off from failing too. Just get a new pair and either install them your self of have someone do it. You did nothing wrong, Fluid filled mounts just fail over time. It seems to be inherent in the design, no matter if you have a Porsche, Audi, MB, or BMW. They all fail.

Oh dear... not this again. Yes the mount has been damaged and replace them in pairs. Search the site and you'll find post on this subject.

wvicary, it seems that when I have something screwed up, I learn from you. Thanks

Yes, the mount finally failed, which means the other one is not far off from failing too. Just get a new pair and either install them your self of have someone do it. You did nothing wrong, Fluid filled mounts just fail over time. It seems to be inherent in the design, no matter if you have a Porsche, Audi, MB, or BMW. They all fail.

Orient Express, I was feeling pretty stupid about this. I thought I did caused it. Our car is a 2000 Cab Arena Red thats not quite up to yours. Ive noticed yours on here before and thought it looked pretty sharp. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Does anyone have a good write up on how to replace the engine mounts?

1. Place floor jack under engine and lift it up to support engine. Don't lift the engine or car, just hold the engine in place.

2. Remove engine airbox and secondary air pump for access to rear motor mounts.

3. Making sure that the jack has the engine supported, remove the nuts on the lower end of the motor mount that holds it to the engine rear crossmember.

4. On the top of each motor mount, remove the 2 bolts holding it to the chassis. Lift the old motor mount out of the chassis.

5. Install new motor mounts, bolt the mount to the chassis first, then install the lower nut and torque it to 67 ft/lb.

6. Remove floor jack.

Done.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a good write up on how to replace the engine mounts?

1. Place floor jack under engine and lift it up to support engine. Don't lift the engine or car, just hold the engine in place.

2. Remove engine airbox and secondary air pump for access to rear motor mounts.

3. Making sure that the jack has the engine supported, remove the nuts on the lower end of the motor mount that holds it to the engine rear crossmember.

4. On the top of each motor mount, remove the 2 bolts holding it to the chassis. Lift the old motor mount out of the chassis.

5. Install new motor mounts, bolt the mount to the chassis first, then install the lower nut and torque it to 67 ft/lb.

6. Remove floor jack.

Done.

Thank you mate. That will help out and it looks very simple to do.

Has anyone every used the engine mounts they sell on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911...sQ5fAccessories

I don't want to buy something if I have to replace the mounts again in 2 years. That was the case if you ever bought some for the 944 type cars. I don't mind paying more if the ones from the dealer are better and last a lot longer. Any input on this would be great. Thanks

Unless you get solid mounts, you can expect to have any liquid filled mount to fail at between 60 ~ 120K miles.

What would be the best option then? I don't want the viberations to come back for a long time as I plan on keeping the car for a good amount of time.

• Moderators
Unless you get solid mounts, you can expect to have any liquid filled mount to fail at between 60 ~ 120K miles.

What would be the best option then? I don't want the viberations to come back for a long time as I plan on keeping the car for a good amount of time.

Just replace your existing mounts with new fluid filled ones. Solid mounts are going to transmit all of the engine vibration into the car.

As a matter of general maintenance, I budget for motor mount replacement on any car I have that has more than 75K miles.

Just replace your existing mounts with new fluid filled ones. Solid mounts are going to transmit all of the engine vibration into the car.

As a matter of general maintenance, I budget for motor mount replacement on any car I have that has more than 75K miles.

That was a stupid question on my part about the solid motor mounts I didn't even think about it. Thanks for you information. Has anyone used the ones from ebay they are suppose to be OEM but not OE. For the price of one at my local dealer source with my shop discount I can get the set on ebay. I don't know if it's worth it. The job isn't hard to do unlike the ones on the 944 types which were a pain.

That was a stupid question on my part about the solid motor mounts I didn't even think about it. Thanks for you information. Has anyone used the ones from ebay they are suppose to be OEM but not OE. For the price of one at my local dealer source with my shop discount I can get the set on ebay. I don't know if it's worth it. The job isn't hard to do unlike the ones on the 944 types which were a pain.

I found the those mounts cheaper at a Porsche online parts provider:

http://www.egermanparts.com/