Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

fluid extractor for oil change

No they will not work. The Cayenne has two sumps(V8's) that need to be drained and you'll never reach them using an extractor.

I plan to test this within a week (depending on when I get it back from dealer service) on my 2010 Transsyberia. The new V8's have only one drain plug.

I'll suck as much as possible out through the dip stick tube with the MityVac, and then drop the drain plug to see how much more comes out. With the oil filter located on the underside of the engine, I have to crawl under there and drop the skid plate to access the filter anyway.

As an aside, you can change the oil and filter on all new MB engines in your Sunday best; and not get dirty. The oil filter is on the top; and when you loosen the canister, all the oild drains back into the block in down to the oil pan. All oil can be sucked out the dip stick tube with the MityVac. Complete oil and filter change with clean clothes!

Edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta

• Admin

I am a proponent of changing your engine oil the old fashioned way - get the car good and hot and then drain the oil through the drain plug.

I change my oil at roughly half of what the manufacturer recommends. Why? Read the reports on sludge build up in modern engines. It does not take much moisture and contaminates to cause engine oil congeal (and gel) - that means "sludge" or an inability for the oil to flow to small passages in the engine where it is needed. As several articles say if you bought a used car and the previous owner(s) did not change the oil per the manufacturers recommendation then you could have the hidden problem of sludge.

Here is an example article about sludge in modern engines and class action lawsuits - many manufactures involved. If you Google engine sludge you will find many many more.

New York Times Article

My goal is not to waste money but to not allow the sludge to form - so I change my oil early in the maintenance cycle. Seems like cheap insurance to me. JMHO of course.

My goal is not to waste money but to not allow the sludge to form - so I change my oil early in the maintenance cycle. Seems like cheap insurance to me. JMHO of course.

Agreed, except I would get it good and hot; and suck it out through the dipstick tube on MB engines. Experience on two different MB engines showed I got more out with the MityVac than I did with a drain through the plug; and if you do it while it's hot, you'll have the crap well suspended and removed, too.

The Transsy will get its oil & filter changed for the first time at just less than 2,500 miles. I would have preferred between 1,000-1,500 miles, since lots of crap comes loose during break-in; but the timing just couldn't be worked out. Then at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles thereafter - always with Redline synthetic, since I'm not a big fan of Mobil 1. Overkill? Possibly, but very cheap insurance.

I've been using this extractor (similar) one for my BMW, as someone already mentioned, the oil filter is under the hood, so I never had to go underneath my BMW.

Anyways, I haven't yet had a chance to use the extrator to change the engine oil on my pepper yet, I had a really good deal from the local shop that I couldn't pass :)

I used a MityVac on my Transsyberia (GTS DFI V8) yesterday, and was able to pull about 8 qts. That left only about 1 qt in the oil pan for much easier draining.

Since the bottom protective cover needs to be removed ti get at the filter, you might just as well get that last qt out of the pan through the drain plug, too. However, handling 1 qt in a small drain pan while laying under the car is a whole lot easier than having to maneuver a big drain pan with 9 qts sloshing around in it. :jump:

See here for specifics on the oil change:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry163791