Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A-A-A-A-R-R-GH-H-H!

On the way home tonight from a little Christmas shopping, I hit a major unseen (it was dark) dip at a residential intersection in an unfamiliar neighborhood. About ten minutes later, my steering felt a little funny, and the car had a tendency to pull to the right upon braking. I was close to home, so I decided to drive the rest of the way. After I pulled into my garage, I saw that the Mich Pilot sport was flat and heavily damaged, but the edge of the wheel rim looked as if it was hit by a .50 caliber bullet: part of the rim being torn and bent away from the tire! The tire is covered by a road hazard warranty, and I've got an estimate request into Sunset Imports for the wheel. I also notified my insurance company right away. The worst part is that I'll likely be without my car for several weeks while waiting for a wheel from Sunset and a tire from Costco. And I wasn't even driving fast.

Edited by 355bhp

On the way home tonight from a little Christmas shopping, I hit a major unseen (it was dark) dip at a suburban intersection in an unfamiliar neighborhood. About ten minutes later, my steering felt a little funny, and the car had a tendency to pull to the right upon breaking. I was close to home, so I decided to drive the rest of the way. After I pulled into my garage, I saw that the Mich Pilot sport was flat and heavily damaged, but the edge of the wheel rim looked as if it was hit by a .50 caliber bullet: part of the rim being torn and bent away from the tire! The tire is covered by a road hazard warranty, and I've got an estimate request into Sunset Imports. I also notified my insurance company right away. The worst part is that I'll likely be without my car for several weeks while waiting for a wheel from Sunset and a tire from Costco. And I wasn't even driving fast.

that's terrible news man. I'd order two tires unless the other one is close to new.

that's terrible news man. I'd order two tires unless the other one is close to new.

That's a good point. The tires were new as of 6 months and 2000 miles ago, but if I get a decent break from Costco and the insurance company, I'll probably order two. And of course I'll have the underpinnings thoroughly inspected and an alignment performed afterward.

I'm sorry to hear what happened. At least it's just a wheel and tire and not a collision. Hopefully you will get her back soon.

Merry Christmas to you

Hopefully Sunset's got a wheel in stock, and I won't have to wait too long for the tires (number9ine: gonna go ahead and order two ), and being that the car is currently undriveable complicates things (this makes a good case for carrying a spare). The important thing is that my No. 2 son is home from classes in Boston, and my silly cat is ecstatic. We're set to have holiday get-togethers with loved ones, and that's what REALLY counts. Thanks Phil, and the best of Holiday and Christmas wishes to all.

Edited by 355bhp

I'm sorry to hear what happened. At least it's just a wheel and tire and not a collision. Hopefully you will get her back soon.

Merry Christmas to you

Hopefully Sunset's got a wheel in stock, and I won't have to wait too long for the tires (number9ine: gonna go ahead and order two ), and being that the car is currently undriveable complicates things (this makes a good case for carrying a spare). The important thing is that my No. 2 son is home from classes in Boston, and my silly cat is ecstatic. We're set to have holiday get-togethers with loved ones, and that's what REALLY counts. Thanks Phil, and the best of Holiday and Christmas wishes to all.

Same to you 355! Have a happy and safe holiday with your family, that's a part that Sunset can't send overnight. :)

If anybody cares to see the damage I wrought, here's a coupla pics: both the front and rear passenger side wheels/tires were hit.

Holy lobster wheels Batman! It looks like the "dip" was more of a crater with jagged teeth. Heck, I'd send a bill to city hall for whatever insurance doesn't cover. :D

Could have been much worse, it's only metal. My condolences to your wallet.

Mark

Oh my! Are you sure you were still on pavement? :o Looks like a Baja 5000 incident :lol:

I'm so sorry...You wll definetly have to check your suspension and get an alignment after a shunt like that.

From now on only take roads you know.... The Valley can be a dangerous place......

Hope you have her back on the road soon...

:cheers:

Holy crap! Sorry for your loss, I would be concerned of deeper damage after seeing those photos. Interesting damage pattern, especially the white looking powder that appears to be from concrete. Almost looks like a horizontal impact not a vertical impact as one would get from "dropping" into a pothole or a sudden depression in the road.

Hope you get it fixed with no further issues.

Happy Holidays :cheers:

Looks like you need some inner wheel plastic

parts. They are very easy to install. They

are not that expensive.

I would get an alingment after that hit.

Paul

Oh yeah, I'll get a four-wheel alignment plus a thorough inspection of the underside. The tires and wheels should both be arriving next week, and If all goes well, I'll be blasting around town testing the patience of the CHP soon after that. Sure wish I knew exactly WHAT I hit and where. I went back to that hilly neighborhood the following day trying to retrace my route, but I couldn't find the spot.

Edited by 355bhp