Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Advice on selling a P car?

A buddy of mine took me for a spin in his C2 and the acceleration in that lighter car was dramatically better than my MY 2000 Cab 4. I love my car and have had a lot of fun (mostly) doing my own maintenance thanks in large part to the excellent info on this site. Ive tried to post my share and give back as much as I can too. Now I'm thinking about selling it and getting a newer, wide-body. Then I realized... I have never sold a car to anybody in my life! I've always traded in.

I know a lot of you find selling and buying cars as easy as breathing. A few tips from your own experience like do you let the person (total stranger) drive it themselves to take it for a PPI would be a great help. Anything you can share about selling a P car would be totally appreciated.

Thanks.

A buddy of mine took me for a spin in his C2 and the acceleration in that lighter car was dramatically better than my MY 2000 Cab 4. I love my car and have had a lot of fun (mostly) doing my own maintenance thanks in large part to the excellent info on this site. Ive tried to post my share and give back as much as I can too. Now I'm thinking about selling it and getting a newer, wide-body. Then I realized... I have never sold a car to anybody in my life! I've always traded in.

I know a lot of you find selling and buying cars as easy as breathing. A few tips from your own experience like do you let the person (total stranger) drive it themselves to take it for a PPI would be a great help. Anything you can share about selling a P car would be totally appreciated.

Thanks.

advertise nationally here, and on 6speed, and for sure you're a member of the PCA so advertise there as well. then, by serendipity, you will meet a good person in your local drugstore and end up selling your car to someone you know, who has had Porsches before, who always liked your car, and who asks you, out of the blue sky, "hi, Jon, when will you ever sell me your car?" I kid you not. good luck....

I would take the person on a long ride with you driving. Never drive with more than one stranger in the car. Try to meet at a central point, not your home or business, since he could be a front man for a theft ring. I met my perspective buyer at the police station parking lot, but this was several years ago and the car was for sale at $72K. (04 C4S Cab) Once you can ascertain his sincerity and his intentions, then let him take it for a short drive with only you in the passenger seat. Couple of little things, take your garage opener out of the car, in the moment, he may take the opener and when you discover it gone, you will have to get another one and reprogram your current code, if your car is still there. When he calls to drive the car, tell him to bring a copy of his driver's license with him and his personal insurance papers on hs current car. Check the copy with his current driver's license and tell him that you will give it back after the test drive ( like the dealers, but they do not give it back and keep it to mail you stuff). I know that you will get a lot of suggestions and I know this sounds very cautious, but nowadays you cannot be too safe or prepared. I once had a "lady" from Miami, FL call me from a gas station women's restroom, this I know because I asked her what that sound was, and she said " oh that's just the toilet flushing here at the Shell station". True story!

I would take the person on a long ride with you driving. Never drive with more than one stranger in the car. Try to meet at a central point, not your home or business, since he could be a front man for a theft ring. I met my perspective buyer at the police station parking lot, but this was several years ago and the car was for sale at $72K. (04 C4S Cab) Once you can ascertain his sincerity and his intentions, then let him take it for a short drive with only you in the passenger seat. Couple of little things, take your garage opener out of the car, in the moment, he may take the opener and when you discover it gone, you will have to get another one and reprogram your current code, if your car is still there. When he calls to drive the car, tell him to bring a copy of his driver's license with him and his personal insurance papers on hs current car. Check the copy with his current driver's license and tell him that you will give it back after the test drive ( like the dealers, but they do not give it back and keep it to mail you stuff). I know that you will get a lot of suggestions and I know this sounds very cautious, but nowadays you cannot be too safe or prepared.

Good advice. Especially meeting at a public place.

I'd never let someone take my car out without me in it. Meet him/her at the PPI facility and agree about who pays for it in advance.

Provide service records/receipts for examination. Authorize any service shop to provide service/repair info. Might consider your insurance bill as this a is sometimes a concern

If you have the window sticker bring that too, and tape it (or a copy of it) to the window when parked. With a removable "For Sale by Owner" sign.

I did sell a 944 on the day before I was going to turn it over to a dealer on consignment. But my experience is that most buyers are looking for an extreme deal or a steal from a private party.

Probly a good time to get a deal on a new car, and a bad time to sell. Dealer trade later is always an option if selling proves too hard. I would get a coupla three quotes from a dealer so you'll know

I have found that a relatively tough phone interview before the potential buyer comes to see the car can be effective. Try to find out how much he knows about Porsches. What he is looking for... Does he know anything at all about the cars? If not be wary.. I have prevented a lot of clowns from wasting my time by asking lost of questions. You will be able to tell right away if the person is a true Porsche nut. You will also be able to tell if it's an idiot that wants to test drive it and give you a rediculous "low ball" offer. Make sure you know what you want for the car and make it clear that you are not interested in taking less..

The other advice is good as far as the insurance, one person in the car etc...

I agree with the other poster that if you have ever had one of your friends show interest in the car to let him know it's for sale... That is the best way...

It's true this is a terrible time to be selling a car and a great time to be buying one. I traded in my last car to an independent Porsche dealer.. He was willing to give me more that the official dealer and was a pleasure to deal with. Good to shop around and see what it's worth for a trade in (in case it bec

Good luck!!!

Edited by phillipj