Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear car seat for 996

Hi everyone:

I've combed all the forums but still cannot seem to get a straight answer as to which car seat fits in the back seat of a 2000 911 (millenium...) for a 3 year old girl. I see many posts indicating that the Britax seats work but I can't find which model. The ones I've tried are still too wide (max width is about 12 inches). I've already bought and returned 3 seats and the wife is getting impatient....

I'm looking for the make/model of car seats/convertible seats/booster seats that will fit a 30 lb+ 3 yr old girl (forward facing). Ohh and the porsche custom seat just really is not an option. Too expensive.

HELP! Spring is coming and I can't wait to get out there with the family in tow.

Thanks!

Jimmy

2000 911 Millenium

US East Coast.

FWIW

I have 2 Graco seats in my 02. The seat can either be a front facing infant seat (up to 40 lbs) or a front facing booster (> 40lbs) but I don't believe the exact model is still available. It looks almost identical to the "Graco Platinum Cargo Booster Car Seat". http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P303DU

When the cupholders are removed it fits reasonably well, although it is impossible to get it super tight due to the long, immovable seat-belt clip in the rear seats.

You might want to consider removing the rear seat backs though. It only takes a few minutes and allows the seats to sit an inch or two farther back which gives a bit more room to the driver or passenger. If you search the forums you should find instructions and a diagram on how to remove the backs.

A Britax Marathon will fit. I am positive because that is what i used to use. It is a really tight fit, but works. Whoever is sitting in front of the baby seat needs to be small since the front seat needs to be scooted up all the way. There is an upper latch point back there too that you can hook into.

Depending on the state/local laws for child seats where you live and the size of your child, once they reach 30lb and at least 37", you could switch them to a Recaro Vivo lite booster seat. It fits much better back there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought the Recaro Vivo Lite and yes, its fits very well.

As the other post mentioned, removing the seat backs would give me some additional room. Can anyone out there tell me how to do this. I took a quick look and it seem that the center hinge point needs to be removed first.

Thanks in advance!

:renntech:

As the other post mentioned, removing the seat backs would give me some additional room. Can anyone out there tell me how to do this. I took a quick look and it seem that the center hinge point needs to be removed first.

See the following thread. You may need to be registered to see the helpful diagram in the second message post:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-...-need-help.html

I've removed mine. If I remember correctly, one piece of information in that post is incorrect. You don't use a torx driver/bit. It's an 8mm triple square as mentioned in the first post here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-...ed-to-know.html

b-man