Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 manual transmission faults

Hi.

I have decided to buy a Porsche. I've landed on a 911 996 c4s 2002 or 2003 model. I have found one i prefer, only negative is that it has manual transmission, I was actually looking for one with automatic transmission. I've heard it's different faults with the manual transmission. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Some early 996 models have issues with second gear. After some wear it will develop a tendency to pop-out of gear. In my opinion, this excessive wear/damage is generally caused by drivers shifting into second at speeds below 20 mph. Other than that, as far as I know the manual transmissions will last forever (not including the clutch, of course, which is a part designed to wear out). I have 125,000 miles on mine with no issues.

I've enjoyed my 2003 C4S every day I've had it. (Except when the alternator went out and had to be replaced along with a new battery after the car sat for a few weeks without a trickle charger on the battery.) (and every now and then the radio electronics lock-up, but that goes away with either a restart or cycling a cd into the head unit.) (there are some "mysterious Porsche issues" out there, but all are pretty much discussed somewhere in this great forum.) I couldn't pass up the 6speed when I got my car, and I think this forum notes more repair issues with the tiptronic than the manual trans. I was actually looking for a tip, but realized I had another stick left in me. If I lived in the City, or had a heavy b2b commute everyday, I probably have gone for the tiptronic. but for mountain road driving where I live the stick is great fun. cant go wrong with the C4S either way, imho. good luck.