Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trouble with the Box

Ok, a few weeks ago I went to take the car on a quick trip to the grocery store. As I was backing out of the drive way and beginning to turn I realized that it was taking a bit more effort to turn the wheel than I was used to. Crap, power steering is out. Unfortunately I was due back at University so I had to leave the problem for the next time I made it home. I did so this past weekend and when I turned on the car, the power steering worked just fine. No problems at all. I checked the fluid and it was at max so that rules out the pump and any leaks. Thought I was in the clear but as the car got up to temp, it started making this intermittent scratching/sucking sound and I got a CEL with P1126 and P1124. No smoke, so I'm assuming it's either a bad AOS or a tube somewhere. Then last night before I headed back to campus I was going to take the car out for a quick spin again but the power steering was out. This time I got a battery weak light as well as the ABS light.

Am I right in assuming it just needs a new battery and the AOS replaced?

I have a 97 Boxster, tiptronic.

Ok, a few weeks ago I went to take the car on a quick trip to the grocery store. As I was backing out of the drive way and beginning to turn I realized that it was taking a bit more effort to turn the wheel than I was used to. Crap, power steering is out. Unfortunately I was due back at University so I had to leave the problem for the next time I made it home. I did so this past weekend and when I turned on the car, the power steering worked just fine. No problems at all. I checked the fluid and it was at max so that rules out the pump and any leaks. Thought I was in the clear but as the car got up to temp, it started making this intermittent scratching/sucking sound and I got a CEL with P1126 and P1124. No smoke, so I'm assuming it's either a bad AOS or a tube somewhere. Then last night before I headed back to campus I was going to take the car out for a quick spin again but the power steering was out. This time I got a battery weak light as well as the ABS light.

Am I right in assuming it just needs a new battery and the AOS replaced?

I have a 97 Boxster, tiptronic.

Loss of power steering combined with "battery weak light" might be caused by a slipping serpentine belt or a seized/seizing pulley.

Regards, Maurice.

Hmmm interesting.

You know, now that I think about it, I remember I was driving at night a few weeks back and I heard a popping sound and what sounded like something falling out of the car. There was no power loss or CELs and when I stopped to look, there was nothing wrong that I could tell. Could this have been the root of the problem?

Well, when you add these things up, no power steering, alt light, popping noise, I bet your belt broke. If it did, you have no cooling flow so don't drive the car. You can get a goodyear belt at most auto parts stores, since it's the same as some FWD GM's. If you have a floor jack, raise the right rear corner, poke your head under to see if the belt is on the water pump pulley (lowest right pulley) and if it is not, don't drive the car till you fix it. If the belt is on it, pop the belt access cover off and take a look, but you have something funny going on, and from the symptoms, it's your belt.

Most chains seem to stock the brands that are regional or easiest for them to deal with. I just searched Advance Auto online and found this link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...S_1148508489___

It's a dayco belt, but when I did mine several months ago they had goodyear. I did mine by loosening the carpet top cover and sliding it back, then tilting seats forward, then removed the front carpet cover and the belt access cover. Cheap insurance, and you don't want to run it with no coolant flow. You said above you started the car and it made noise as it warms up, I wouldn't start it till you replace the belt and do a visual check on the water pump.