Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1997 door lock where to get ?!?

Hello Guys,

my 1997 Boxster has issues with the passenger sider door lock.

When I turn the key to lock the doors on the driver side there was this grinding noise.

And then the doors opend back up.

I'm thinking ist must be the door lock mechanism.

Went to my local repair shop and tried to get the parts but nobody seems to have the right P/N! and they are asking $400 (whithout knowing if it fits).

Did some online searching last night and found a left door lock mechanism at German Auto Parts but for a 98 and the driver side ($130).

I wrote them but they don't have the 97 passenger side.

Does anybody have an idea where I could get that part whithout paying $270 more for it.

Or am I searching in the wrong place? Maybe its something different?

Please help me.

Thanks.

Edited by MarcoAtCA

Try Star recycling in Sacramento (If there still around), they are allot cheaper than L.A. D. I recall buying the whole door innards for some 100+, window mechanism, door-lock mech. etc. I never have bought parts from the dealer. Also, allot of indie shops have there own scorses for parts to. Also, take the thing out first and see if you can't fix it. You have to takee it out anyway.

Regards, PK

hi pk2,

I took it out last night and everything looks fine just a little dirty/oily.

I cant see the original P/N anymore only 3 digits left ... bummer

I'll contact Star Recycling in a few minutes, looks like the changed their name ...

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just wanted to give an update.

The lock mechanism (finally) arrived yesterday and I replaced it.

The door locks again without making a grinding noise ;o)

But that part was pretty expensive ($430 ;o) )

At first they told me it would be $230 so I ordered all the other once were quoting

$300 to $450 good deal *at least what I thought ;o)

Then the part didn't show up so I called and he is like oh the p/N was updated

we didn't contact you yet the new p/n is more expensive = $430

If I would have know that before I could have gotten it local without waiting 2,5 weeks ;(

But its all good now.

Thanks again for the help.

B)

Edited by MarcoAtCA

Just in case others read this thread, there's a back-story on this issue you need to know if you own a 1997 boxster.

It was the only boxster model year that did not have airbags in the doors. Because of this, the door lock assembly is unique to the model year. Other model year door lock assemblies will not work and this part for a MY97 is really hard to find used at a salvage yard.

I have the same problem with the passenger door lock assembly. It makes a "braaaap" sound and then the system unlocks the doors and double-beeps the horn to indicate the doors are not locked. In fact. the passenger side cannot be locked now no matter what I do. Porsche, in their cost-cutting measures to make the car more affordable or in the name of saving weight, did not put a tumbler set in the passenger door or a latch inside so there's no way to manually lock the door.

Sunset in Oregon can order the part new from Germany for $325 shipped to me in Texas. I share this only as a price comparison point for others looking for the same part.

Thanks for the input ;o)

Yeah I left all that stuff with no air bag in the doors out and so on ;o)

After replacing the part the noise will be gone and the door will lock again.

BTW I ordered a new bowden cable for the inside door handle and

had to modify it a bit there was a clip on the cable that did not fit the door liner.

No big issue ...

• 2 years later...

Hi, thanks for the part number Maurice.

My window passenger door(right) wont drop when i open the door, both inside and outside door latch, i have changed the microchip/censor on outer door latch, but same issue.

So I suspect its the chip in door mechanism is fail.