Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trouble filling the gas tank.

'02 Boxster S.

When I try to fill the gas tank, fuel just splashes out the filler neck. The only way I can get gas into the tank is by filling really slowly, just a few drops at a time. It seems like some vent somewhere is clogged.

I'm on a road trip, currently in Yuma Arizona. I'd like to get this fixed before this Sunday when I'll be heading back home to N. California. As it is now, it takes about 20 minutes to put 4 gallons in the car, and I have a long drive home!

Is there a do-it-myself fix I can do in the hotel parking lot? Or can someone recommend a mechanic in Yuma or the San Diego area?

Thanks!

Edited by bevets

'02 Boxster S.

When I try to fill the gas tank, fuel just splashes out the filler neck. The only way I can get gas into the tank is by filling really slowly, just a few drops at a time. It seems like some vent somewhere is clogged.

I'm on a road trip, currently in Yuma Arizona. I'd like to get this fixed before this Sunday when I'll be heading back home to N. California. As it is now, it takes about 20 minutes to put 4 gallons in the car, and I have a long drive home!

Is there a do-it-myself fix I can do in the hotel parking lot? Or can someone recommend a mechanic in Yuma or the San Diego area?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure if this is what is causing your problem, but Loren posted a DIY on a part that might be your solution:

I read some other threads that said that banging on the top of the fender in that area sometimes jars the valve open.

Regards, Maurice.

Here is another possibility, taken from "986FAQ":

Gas Tank Won't Fill

Diagnostic: When you try to fill the gas tank, only about 1/10th of a gallon will go into the tank before the auto-shutoff triggers in the gas pump.

Cause: Tubes behind the flapper in the gas tank have slipped.

Details: There is a one way flapper type valve at the junction of the filler neck and the tank. This is to allow gas in but not out. There are tubes in the tank behind the valve that can slip down preventing the flapper valve from opening allowing only the filler neck to fill up then slowly seeps by the valve.

Take to your dealer with less than 1/2 tank of gas. The fix is to have the dealer secure the tubes up and out of the way of the flapper valve.

I hope it's not this one, as you are far away from home.

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the suggestions, Maurice. I did notice a flapper valve right at the opening of the filler neck, on the top. If I insert my index finger, pointing up, and move it in a "come hither" motion, [ahem] I can feel the valve move and I can hear what sounds like it might be a vent opening. I was hoping that if I tapped it a few times that would fix the problem, but no luck.

I'm sure all of these valves and vents are designed to prevent gas vapors from polluting the air, but I suspect the amount of vapor that has escaped in the last day while I've spilled gas all over due to the failure of the system has far exceeded the amount of vapor saved during the total life of the system.

Oh Well...

i have had two boxsters and both have this problem, its a real pain in the ***... its as if the gas cannot escape quick enough. you end up spending twice as much time at the pump than anyone else 'cos you have to be gentle on the flow. are we not sure its a design fault? i.e. the angle of the down pipe to the tank is too steep??

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took it to my mechanic, and he says it's a malfunctioning valve that is on top of the gas tank. The cost of a new valve is about $60. The labor to replace the valve is about 7 to 8 hours! :eek: Apparently, he has to drop the gas tank to replace the valve.

I'll be selling this car when this is fixed. The fun-to-drive factor is just too heavily outweighed by the obscene cost of maintenance.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my problem was that the fuel tank vent valve was not functioning. I could not get gas into the fuel tank. Turns out a mouse had nested in the little area around the valve and had chewed through the wires. Now fixed. My indy, Mike Renzi in Fort Bragg, CA, checked this spot first and that was that. Cheers, jl