Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine gurus: what the heck is this sound?

All engine gurus, I need help.

While checking my parking spot today I heard the strangest sporadic metallic rattling from the passenger side of the engine. I could not really localize the sound (hoping it was from the cats maybe, and NOT the engine itself). It sounds ominous to me.

The car just had 2 new coil packs and 6 new spark plugs installed, and is otherwise running GREAT.

Here is the sound... you hear it right away (sounds like Im starting the car, but its just the weird sound), and then again at 9 seconds or so...

http://www.aliota.com/js2k/engine-noise.mp3

Any help TRULY appreciated!

Edited by Malakas

That does not sound good. It's hard to say but it could be very serious so I would tow the vehicle to a dealer or good indy and have them give an opinion. Highly recommend you do not drive or operate the engine anymore.

All engine gurus, I need help.

While checking my parking spot today I heard the strangest sporadic metallic rattling from the passenger side of the engine. I could not really localize the sound (hoping it was from the cats maybe, and NOT the engine itself). It sounds ominous to me.

The car just had 2 new coil packs and 6 new spark plugs installed, and is otherwise running GREAT.

Here is the sound... you hear it right away (sounds like Im starting the car, but its just the weird sound), and then again at 9 seconds or so...

http://www.aliota.co...ngine-noise.mp3

Any help TRULY appreciated!

sounds like the guts of a cat tumbling around, but hard to tell. whatever it is, my friend, it doesnt sound good. dont risk it. get thyself to the garage.

ps: still love that Orient Red car of yours. hope this is not really serious. interested to know what this turns out to be. jl

I had almost the same sound and it was one of the cats. I got a post 02 out of spec code at about the same time.

Note that when I took it into the dealer, they ended up replacing the engine FIRST, then discovered that the noise was one of the catalytic convectors... That's a whole other story.

Simon

I'll second the cat notion. Its hard to tell when you're not there in person but a failed cat makes a pretty distinct sound and that sounds pretty close. Depending on what year car you have you may still be under the federal emission warranty.

Thanks to all of my "online mechanics"!!

It seems as if the consensus is an issue with either a loose heat shield (perhaps not

tightened after coil pack install), or an problem with one of the cats.

I will have it checked by my Indy asap. I needed front brake pads and an oil change anyway...

If it is one of the cats, and they are no longer in warranty (no cel), then it might be time for cat bypass pipes?! :)

:::closing the loop:::

I crawled around banging on parts with a rubber mallet, and found one of the exhaust hangers was loose...

After some contortionism I was able to tighten it... Voilà...

Noise gone!

It's hard to believe a bolt with only a couple of turns of play could make that racket!

Thanks to everyone!