Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof won't close

Bit of an odd one. My 2000 2.7 boxster is having a little roof problem. I can lower the roof fine (it's only 1/4 down at the mo - ie the back part is up), but now it won't close. Pressing the button on the dash doesn't do anything. I've already searched the forum, and my handbrake light is on so I know it's not the relay/switch there causing the problem.

The one light that isn't on though is the light on the dash telling you that the roof is not completely up/down. Any ideas? I get the feeling that it's a sensor somewhere and the car thinks the roof is already completly closed. Luckily the roof hasn't start to retract so i can still close it, but the back compartment lid is up right now.

Thanks

Mike

Bit of an odd one. My 2000 2.7 boxster is having a little roof problem. I can lower the roof fine (it's only 1/4 down at the mo - ie the back part is up), but now it won't close. Pressing the button on the dash doesn't do anything. I've already searched the forum, and my handbrake light is on so I know it's not the relay/switch there causing the problem.

The one light that isn't on though is the light on the dash telling you that the roof is not completely up/down. Any ideas? I get the feeling that it's a sensor somewhere and the car thinks the roof is already completly closed. Luckily the roof hasn't start to retract so i can still close it, but the back compartment lid is up right now.

Thanks

Mike

Mike:

There are two microswitches in the front of one of your transmissions in your 2000 Boxster that control that "top open" idiot light on the dash. The factory manual says that they are in the passenger side transmission (right side). At least on U.S. cars, it's definitely on the driver's side (left side).

When that light goes out, it cuts power to the convertible top motor, and thereby stops spinning the cables that rotate the V-Levers.

You can either try to rotate the V-levers "manually" (by spinning the cables with a cordless drill after you pull them out of the sides of the motor), in the hope that the transmissions will reset themselves, or, you will have to remove and open the transmission that contains those two microswitches. As, I said, in U.S. cars their at the front of the driver's side (left side) transmissions.

The procedure for spinning the cables with a drill has already been written up here, do a search and you'll find a DIY with photos.

For photos of the inside of the transmission, as well as how to remove the transmission, take a look at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks

Mike

Mike:

There are two microswitches in the front of one of your transmissions in your 2000 Boxster that control that "top open" idiot light on the dash. The factory manual says that they are in the passenger side transmission (right side). At least on U.S. cars, it's definitely on the driver's side (left side).

When that light goes out, it cuts power to the convertible top motor, and thereby stops spinning the cables that rotate the V-Levers.

You can either try to rotate the V-levers "manually" (by spinning the cables with a cordless drill after you pull them out of the sides of the motor), in the hope that the transmissions will reset themselves, or, you will have to remove and open the transmission that contains those two microswitches. As, I said, in U.S. cars their at the front of the driver's side (left side) transmissions.

The procedure for spinning the cables with a drill has already been written up here, do a search and you'll find a DIY with photos.

For photos of the inside of the transmission, as well as how to remove the transmission, take a look at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Regards, Maurice.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. When you say tranmission (sorry I'm from the UK), do you mean the Plastic covers/carpet that run down the side of the car to hide all the wiring etc. I had a look last night, and under the clamshell I can see a cable (assuming it supplies power etc) to a little black box containing motor next to the 3rd brake light. This wire feeds down towards the left side of the car, so assume there is a microswitch down that side of the car somewhere. What does the switch look like, and how will I know if it is faulty? I tried all the usual steps of the tapping the relay and checking the fuses, but thought it was a bit of a long shot as the roof will still go down, but not up. I've not lowered the roof fully as yet, as I'm scared I won't be able to close it again without having to disconnect all the various balljoints/levers. Also, I was reading all the various posts on here - I assume that becuase my car is a 2000, I won't have the microswitchs in the B pillar and in the clamshell? I couldn't see any switches of any sort.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mkc2bad

Hi

Thanks for the reply. When you say tranmission (sorry I'm from the UK), do you mean the Plastic covers/carpet that run down the side of the car to hide all the wiring etc. I had a look last night, and under the clamshell I can see a cable (assuming it supplies power etc) to a little black box containing motor next to the 3rd brake light. This wire feeds down towards the left side of the car, so assume there is a microswitch down that side of the car somewhere. What does the switch look like, and how will I know if it is faulty? I tried all the usual steps of the tapping the relay and checking the fuses, but thought it was a bit of a long shot as the roof will still go down, but not up. I've not lowered the roof fully as yet, as I'm scared I won't be able to close it again without having to disconnect all the various balljoints/levers. Also, I was reading all the various posts on here - I assume that becuase my car is a 2000, I won't have the microswitchs in the B pillar and in the clamshell? I couldn't see any switches of any sort.

Thanks

Mike

Mike:

The plastic covers/carpet (or semi-cylindrical carpeted black plastic panels) are only there as trim pieces to hide the wires and seat belt mechanisms, etc... The transmissions that I am referring to are the convertible top transmissions that are driven by the black sheathed cables coming from the sides of the electric motor. The cables that you saw are not wires, but rather have an inner metal speedometer-type cable running inside of them. If you follow those forward, they will lead to the transmissions.

The transmissions are located under the V-levers, under the black plastic dish-like flat plate, and under the outboard vertical sides of the foam drain trays. Take a look at the link I gave you above and you will see photos of all of these parts, including the three spacer bolts from which the transmission must be pulled inboard (after removing the three 13mm nuts).

As for your 2000, you are correct that you will not have either the B-Pillar microswitch (under the driver's (left) side semi-cylindrical panel) or the lever-microswitch (on top of the electric motor). Those are only on '97 to '99. On your car, the two switches have been moved to INSIDE the front of the transmission on the driver's (left side).

Unless there is something wrong with your double relay, from the symptoms that you describe, I am reasonably sure that your problem is being caused by one of those two microswitches inside the driver's (left) side transmission. Again, there is a photo of the transmissions and of the microswitches in the DIY to which I have given you the link.

If you are reasonably handy, it is relatively straightforward to remove and open up the transmission. Once you open it up, you will be able to determine if the microswitch is broken or whether it can be cleaned or fixed.

Let us know if you make any progress.

Regards, Maurice.