Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TOTALLY desperate

Guys any advice please... Need to replace the Timing sloeniod on cylinders 4-6.. Can't get the cam cover off due to lack of clearence around the exhaust. Can't get the exhaust of as the bolts are completely fused/Rusted into the manifold. So now what was a 3-4 hour job is looking like i'm going to have to grind off the exhaust bolts and the remove the head to get the bolts drilled out... I really can't belive Porsche put Exhaust bolts right under the car uncovered.. Any advice please please....

Does anyone have a tutorial on head removal....

Guys any advice please... Need to replace the Timing sloeniod on cylinders 4-6.. Can't get the cam cover off due to lack of clearence around the exhaust. Can't get the exhaust of as the bolts are completely fused/Rusted into the manifold. So now what was a 3-4 hour job is looking like i'm going to have to grind off the exhaust bolts and the remove the head to get the bolts drilled out... I really can't belive Porsche put Exhaust bolts right under the car uncovered.. Any advice please please....

Does anyone have a tutorial on head removal....

No need to remove the head to get the exhaust bolts out.

Here are two links to a sort of tutorial (maybe more like an adventure) on fused/rusted bolt removal from the exhaust side of the cylinder head (you have to cut and paste):

www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1552044,1552044

www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1551648,1551736#msg-1551736

The key in drilling out the bolts is using that little dremel carbide bit if you don't get your initial mark dead center.

The key to getting it done is patience, the right tools, more patience, and to not be tempted to cut any corners as that will get you in deeper than you want to be.

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by Loren
made links active

Hi Maurice thanks for the info but the link didn't work....

Sorry about that! For some reason the program only hyperlinked part of the link. I have redone the links and tested them, but you have to cut and paste them to get there. Try these:

www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1552044,1552044

www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?19,1551648,1551736#msg-1551736

(I have also corrected the original links for future posters who might stumble on them)

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by Loren
made links active