Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Confusing Sound System/PCM

Hi everyone. First of all, I just want to say that this is simply a fantastic forum filled with knowledgeable people willing to share their P-car experiences. Great for a novice.

I recently bought a 2000 C4 Coupe with PCM (navigation system) and 6 disc CD changer under the hood. My question has to do with the radio. Is it just me or is it just a terrible design? I also need to mention that the previous owner has installed an amplifier and satellite radio under the hood as well. I checked the wiring of the amp and it seems to be wired correctly, at least according to the wiring diagram that came with it.

So here are my issues:

1. the fader/balance control on the radio do nothing. Sound only comes from the front (dash/door) speakers

2. there doesn't seem to be a really low volume setting (that is, you can turn the volume all the way down and you can still hear music). Very odd.

3. the rear speakers only seem to kick in when the volume is really loud. They are certainly not working at normal listening levels. More odd.

4. how is it possible to just have the navigation map "on" but not the radio. I just want to be able to navigate but not have any music playing. The only way to turn on the map is to press the radio "on" button which also (of course) turns the radio on. Pressing the "Map" button does nothing without the radio on first. Then I get music with my GPS!!

A related question is has anyone upgraded the PCM to a higher version. Apparently is costs ~$300 or so at the dealer. Can anyone confirm that it's worth it? I'm kinda of leaning towards the upgrade since the current GPS is quite slow and has limited resolution.

Any help with all these questions is much appreciated.

Jimmy

Edited by jimmy3530

I also need to mention that the previous owner has installed an amplifier and satellite radio under the hood as well.

So here are my issues:

1. the fader/balance control on the radio do nothing. Sound only comes from the front (dash/door) speakers

2. there doesn't seem to be a really low volume setting (that is, you can turn the volume all the way down and you can still hear music). Very odd.

3. the rear speakers only seem to kick in when the volume is really loud. They are certainly not working at normal listening levels. More odd.

4. how is it possible to just have the navigation map "on" but not the radio. I just want to be able to navigate but not have any music playing. The only way to turn on the map is to press the radio "on" button which also (of course) turns the radio on. Pressing the "Map" button does nothing without the radio on first. Then I get music with my GPS!!

The fader and balance controls work correctly in my car,plus I can turn the volume all the way down and hear nothing. Rear speakers not functioning correctly would explain the fader issues. I have to wonder if the amp was installed properly.

I also need to mention that the previous owner has installed an amplifier and satellite radio under the hood as well.

So here are my issues:

The fader and balance controls work correctly in my car,plus I can turn the volume all the way down and hear nothing. Rear speakers not functioning correctly would explain the fader issues. I have to wonder if the amp was installed properly.

it sounds like you have a dealer near by. go and try radio in another porsche. porsche sound is not great to start with (i have 996c4s) but faders/balance work.

. porsche sound is not great to start with.....

That is the under statement of the decade. I have the "top of the line" in my 06 997 and it is barely tolerable

My 996's don't sound great (r didn't stock anyway). My 997 Turbo with Bose Surround and dual sub woofers sounds great to me! They definitely improved.

On the issue of this topic, from your description, it sounds like the idiot..umm, I mean person that installed your system may have installed some crossovers/bridges

or similar, and the sound is only passing at high volume? I think you may end up needing to run down the whole system to find where the culprit is...But should not be

too hard. You may need to pop out a speaker or two to see it any crossovers or other devices are located. Also, Porsche has some interesting amp configurations

(like six way splitting), and standard amps usually are 4 way, and that may be your issue....? Just some things to try.

Good luck!

DC

Edited by therock88