Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Keyless Entry, Start and Exit System problem.

My KESSY decided to stop working today sad.gif .

I can start the car with the plastic control unit but cannot unlock or lock the car via any door handle/button.

Does anyone know how to get access to the KESSY control unit as I want to check out the connectors ?

Also the antenna locations for the KESSY would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by bigbuzuki

• Moderators

I would check the fault codes first, KESSY is a maze-like system without a descent diagnostic/programming tool. Several antennas are inside the car and in the rear bumper, the control box sits under the dash on the right side of the steering column along with other control boxes, KESSY boxes are all the same (KESSY system or not, just different programmed)

Thanks RFM.

The Durametric faults all the antennas as shorted to ground.

Since I have a right hand drive vehicle, is the under dash KESSY control box in the left or right side of my car?

Is it a matter of dropping the under dash cover to gain access?

Edited by bigbuzuki

• Moderators

I cant say on a RHD, but i suppose that the box is also near the steering column, just lower the plastic trim (with the interior light) under the dash to take a look.

Took the car to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem.

They changed the Kessy control unit and reprogrammed my keys.

I have the start function still working via the plastic dummy key, but unfortunately the door entry/exit function is still not working.

They have ordered new Kessy antennas to be fitted.

How likely is it that all the Kessy antennas are faulty? eek.gif and what would break them.

Anyone have experience with this?

• Moderators

What were the present fault codes ? It surprised me that they simply replace parts without measurements, control box, antennas..., looks like guessing. Some cars suffers with a damaged wiring under the trunk carpet, caused by cargo, rear seats area. Easy to find with the help of a OHM meter, these are the wires from the control box to the rear antennas (inside + under the rear bumper shell hidden antennas) Remove the connectors from the box and antennas and start the measurements, short, short to ground, broken wire, a power fail between the box and the source is also a possibility, an electrical diagram and PIWIS Fault Find program should be helpful as well. Kessy is simply a "difficult" and "sensitive" optional part. Success.

The fault codes apparantly stated that the antennas were shorted to ground.

Are all the antennas for the Kessy in the rear bumber area or are they located elsewhere?

I would like to carry out the resistance and power supply measurements as well.

Is there a dedicated fuse for the Kessy system?

Would Loren be able to provide us with a copy of the applicable wiring diagram?

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 3 months later...

Hi

My 03 turbo did the same thing.

I'm just using the normal key at the moment.

I haven't been able to locate the unit, near the stering wheel in my RHD car, so suspect it is acually on the passenger (left) side in RHD cars.

How much did your unit cost?

I'm not looking forward to replacing it $$$$$

Thanks

DS

Perth

Hi

My 03 turbo did the same thing.

I'm just using the normal key at the moment.

I haven't been able to locate the unit, near the stering wheel in my RHD car, so suspect it is acually on the passenger (left) side in RHD cars.

How much did your unit cost?

I'm not looking forward to replacing it $$$$$

Thanks

DS

Perth

The control unit was replaced along with some of the antennas at the dealer.

All done for free due to the fantastic extended CPO warranty I have.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I too have problem with KESSY. Have an 03 Cayenne S, took to Porsche main dealer East London. Since owning the car the Keyless system has never worked, didn't realise I had it as an

option. Therefore been happy of operating the central locking with the unlock button on the key. This though became erratic and I thought it was a problem with the key and needed a new

one. Porsche ( East London ) had a quick look ( an hour and half ) and came back with a very long list of faults ( though touch wood car is running fine ).

As to the Kessy they state they would like to check the car for about 3 hours to try and diagnose the fault ( So looking at £ 500 before they even start to fix it ). Possibly could be a dodgy

earth. Or it maybe a case they will have to replace the Kessy unit and all 4 door handles !!!!!!! Quote of about £ 2,500 !!! Though they did replace the battery and so I am back to operating

the central locking with the key again.

• 3 months later...

I too have problem with KESSY. Have an 03 Cayenne S, took to Porsche main dealer East London. Since owning the car the Keyless system has never worked, didn't realise I had it as an

option. Therefore been happy of operating the central locking with the unlock button on the key. This though became erratic and I thought it was a problem with the key and needed a new

one. Porsche ( East London ) had a quick look ( an hour and half ) and came back with a very long list of faults ( though touch wood car is running fine ).

As to the Kessy they state they would like to check the car for about 3 hours to try and diagnose the fault ( So looking at £ 500 before they even start to fix it ). Possibly could be a dodgy

earth. Or it maybe a case they will have to replace the Kessy unit and all 4 door handles !!!!!!! Quote of about £ 2,500 !!! Though they did replace the battery and so I am back to operating

the central locking with the key again.

Futher update - 17 October 2010

After dismissing Porsche East London, decided to keep an eye on the car. Again the Central Locking failed again and other things started to become eratic, the clock wouldn't hold

the time when the engine switched off, the radio wouldn't hold the station, the Sat Nav was intermitent, and the front window de-mister didn't seem to have the power. Took it to

Kwik-Fit to see if they could test the battery, though they were useless.

Then noticed that the battery guage was only at 8 volts, and the oil temp just went to to the right side of the guage past the 150. Eventually got round to taking it to

911 Design in Hainault, explained the problems, so the guys there said that would have a look at the battery. After testing, it came back that the battery was only holding 6volts, but

the good news the charging was at 14volts so it was just the battery. New battery fitted, everything is working well, Keyless entry, Sat Nav, Alarm I even think the car is running

better :). Though the Battery and oil guage are still not responding. And cost for this, only £ 200. Really think I need to make a complaint to Porsche Main Dealer on their

mis-diagnoses. Then they wonder why Main Dealers, they sometimes get a bad reputation.