Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster hood problems!

Hi guys, I'm new to this site but have been trawling through all the posts and looks like a great forum!

Anyway, I have a 1997 Boxster 2.5 manual (U.K. car). The problem I'm having is that my roof will not go down. I open the roof catch and the windows drop about 4" so I assume the microswitches are operating there. When I push the button on the dash I can hear the motor try to move then it almost dies out. If i pop off the joints at the back which hold the rear clam in place, then operate the rocker switch the roof will go down, and it will come back up again. It just seems to be when the clam is attached that the problem occurs.

I also noticed that the motor doesn't seem to stop at any point, it will just keep going till I let go of the button. The hood light has stayed on since this problem began!

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I'm new to this site but have been trawling through all the posts and looks like a great forum!

Anyway, I have a 1997 Boxster 2.5 manual (U.K. car). The problem I'm having is that my roof will not go down. I open the roof catch and the windows drop about 4" so I assume the microswitches are operating there. When I push the button on the dash I can hear the motor try to move then it almost dies out. If i pop off the joints at the back which hold the rear clam in place, then operate the rocker switch the roof will go down, and it will come back up again. It just seems to be when the clam is attached that the problem occurs.

I also noticed that the motor doesn't seem to stop at any point, it will just keep going till I let go of the button. The hood light has stayed on since this problem began!

The "convertible top open" light on the dashboard is controlled by a combination of the black lever microswitch on top of the electric motor and the convertible top double relay. There is an "after-running" time (as Porsche calls it) of a little more than 1 second after that black lever is depressed until it sends a signal to the double relay and then that turns off the light and simultaneously cuts power to the electric motor.

So, in your '97 (and '98's and '99's) the light will not go out if the clamshell is not operating and closing down on top of the convertible top as it is stowed.

BTW, there are TWO microswitches inside the convertible top latch receptacle, but your description indicates that both of those are working properly.

The other symptoms you describe (canvas top operates if the clamshell black "hydraulic" pushrods are disconnected) are a little unusual.

Have you checked that the square black plastic "sliders" are well lubricated, along with the channels inside of which they slide back and forth? If they are really dry and they bind that might be the cause of your problem.

Otherwise, if someone has taken apart the mechanism, it's possible to install the V-levers upside down, so that they are 180 degrees off. That would prevent the V-levers from rotating when all four ball cups are attached to the V-Levers.

Here is a photo of that section:

post-6627-126871104412_thumb.jpg

The black plastic slider is on the opposite side (outboard) of the nut to which the red arrow is pointing.

The yellow arrow is pointing to the channel which should be liberally lubricated. You can use white lithium grease or Dupont Krytox.

Lubricate those parts and see if it makes any difference.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

Thanks very much for your advice, today I lifted the rear clam and found that it was not clipped onto the runners correctly. I re-fitted these and lubricated them well. I also replaced the 2 red plastic ball-cup clips with new white ones. After I had done all this I tested the roof and found the problem was still there. I then removed the B pillar micro switch and checked it with my multi meter, I found it to be working fine, however after re-fitting the microswitch, I notice that when the hood goes up it is not making the switch. It looks as though part of the switch is missing. (Is there meant to be an extension on the switch? Maybe a rubber boot?) I decided to try holding the microswitch in while operating the dash rocker switch and hey presto, the hood works, it goes up & down perfectly! I'm off to my local OPC tomorrow to get a new microswitch!

Thanks! Dave.

Edited by whereswilbur

• 2 weeks later...

Maurice,

Thanks very much for your advice, today I lifted the rear clam and found that it was not clipped onto the runners correctly. I re-fitted these and lubricated them well. I also replaced the 2 red plastic ball-cup clips with new white ones. After I had done all this I tested the roof and found the problem was still there. I then removed the B pillar micro switch and checked it with my multi meter, I found it to be working fine, however after re-fitting the microswitch, I notice that when the hood goes up it is not making the switch. It looks as though part of the switch is missing. (Is there meant to be an extension on the switch? Maybe a rubber boot?) I decided to try holding the microswitch in while operating the dash rocker switch and hey presto, the hood works, it goes up & down perfectly! I'm off to my local OPC tomorrow to get a new microswitch!

Thanks! Dave.

Dave:

Good work! Sounds like you have it resolved.

Keep us posted.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with my hood...helpsmilie.gif

Recently fitted new 'transmission to motor cables' and since then my hood only seems to work in reverse to the dash switch? 1997 model

I tested both micro switches and they appear to be working with my multimeter (Following guides i found on this forumthankyou.gif)

Swapped out the double relay for second hand unit (Not sure of replacements items condition) and it made not difference?

Has anyone got advise what is should check next, i've been searching for days and can't seem to find anyone with a similar experience. Does anyone know if the Blue Relay (Which i have not changed) could have anything to do with the reverse order of my hood.

Edited by boxin

• 9 months later...

Maurice,

Thanks! Dave.

hi

i've got similiar problem... need 2 red plastic ball cups clips, can't get them anywhere, could tell me where did you get them from???

many thanks

• 1 year later...

The "convertible top open" light on the dashboard is controlled by a combination of the black lever microswitch on top of the electric motor and the convertible top double relay. There is an "after-running" time (as Porsche calls it) of a little more than 1 second after that black lever is depressed until it sends a signal to the double relay and then that turns off the light and simultaneously cuts power to the electric motor.

So, in your '97 (and '98's and '99's) the light will not go out if the clamshell is not operating and closing down on top of the convertible top as it is stowed.

BTW, there are TWO microswitches inside the convertible top latch receptacle, but your description indicates that both of those are working properly.

The other symptoms you describe (canvas top operates if the clamshell black "hydraulic" pushrods are disconnected) are a little unusual.

Have you checked that the square black plastic "sliders" are well lubricated, along with the channels inside of which they slide back and forth? If they are really dry and they bind that might be the cause of your problem.

Otherwise, if someone has taken apart the mechanism, it's possible to install the V-levers upside down, so that they are 180 degrees off. That would prevent the V-levers from rotating when all four ball cups are attached to the V-Levers.

The black plastic slider is on the opposite side (outboard) of the nut to which the red arrow is pointing.

The yellow arrow is pointing to the channel which should be liberally lubricated. You can use white lithium grease or Dupont Krytox.

Regards, Maurice.

Regards, Maurice.

I tested the Double Relay as per the procedure in POSES, by jumpering pin 2 & 3 (black clam shell microswitch) of the Motor Plug, checking voltage at pin 1 & 4 (Motor Supply), while pressing Open and/or Close. The supply to the Motor occurs regardless whether the jumper on pin 2 & 3 is connected or not. The microswitch itself works when tested. Do you think I conclude that Double Relay is at fault?

• 2 years later...

My problem is similar to this

I have checked the fuses are ok

Handbrake micro switch and dash light both working

Windows drop when the roof latch is release

Roof open light stays on for a few seconds and then goes out

No response at all when the roof down button is pressed

The bit in bold I think shows my problem, should this light not remain on until the roof is either fully open or fully closed?

Any ideas what to do here? Getting frustrated as the weather has taken a turn for the better and I hate not being able to make use of my car properly

Any help is much appreciated

What year is your Boxster and which double relay does your Boxster have (i.e., triangle or square printed on top surface of double relay)?

The double relay is located above the fuse box in the left footwell kick panel (this is the way it is on U.S. cars, not sure if the location is identical for right hand driver cars).

Here is a photo of what you are looking for (this one is the one with the square, generally for Boxsters 2000 to 2004):

post-6627-0-39429700-1427518587_thumb.jp

Here it is in the relay panel, indicated by the green "X" (note that the relay panel has been removed from its attachment points in the kick panel area).

post-6627-0-97829000-1427518527.jpg

You will probably also have to check one of the two microswitches that are contained INSIDE the convertible top latch handle housing receptacle.  

Here is what those parts look like:

post-6627-0-37202700-1427518448.jpg

One likely culprit is the parallel strip microswitch, which you can see in the photo above.  Inspect it for continuity and for hairline cracks, which are relatively common and could cause a completely dead response, such as the one you are getting.

Regards, Maurice.

post-6627-0-87598900-1427518557.jpg

Edited by 1schoir

Your '99 Boxster should have the triangle symbol on the double relay.  

Before replacing it with a new one, try taking it out and rapping it sharply against a hard surface, such as a desk.  That will sometimes free up the contacts inside.  Also, when re-installing it, push it in and pull it out a few times as that will help to clean up any minor corrosion on the spades of the relay and the receiving contacts in the tray.

If that doesn't work, I would inspect the parallel strip microswitch for cracks.  If the parallel strip microswitch is not defective, you could then try to replace the relay with a known good one.  Perhaps you have a friend with another Boxster who would let you try it before you purchase a new one.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir