Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Level Indicator Failure

2006 Boxster S- 45K miles. Was driving the car 3 days ago and 5 minutes into driving noticed the "Oil Level Indicator Failure" message on the dash. Pulled over but realized the car was running fine and that this message means there is a problem with the sensor not the oil level nor oil pressure. (Car rarely uses any oil and the level was good the day before). Few questions. Has anyone had this issue before? How did you resolve it? Could this be as easy as a blown fuse (I hope)? Has anyone replaced the sensor? What was the cost? Can this be done by home mechanic (me), or is this a shop job?

Thanks for any help

Edited by RNBM

Oil level reading comes from a sensor in the oil sump. Either the sensor has gone bad, or the wiring pigtail leading out from it has become disconnected...........

I'll take a look and see if I see anything disconnected. Otherwise, I'll check price of job and determine if I want to do myself or not.

Thanks.

• 11 years later...

Similar problem on my '05 987.1 Boxster.  42000 miles, engine temp gauge is reading 0 - with red light on solid, 'instrument failure' message on dash.  Also digital Oil Level gauge  fails to give reading.  Instead reports 'instrument failure'.   Car is not low on oil or coolant.   Does this indicate similar problem to the original post above?   Failure message and unresponsive gauge wouldn't seem to point to a wiring problem...

Oil Level and Temp sensor?  

How was problem above resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ecooke2

Yes, removing the sensor does appear to be a challenge.  I've removed the front cold air intake plumbing and can clearly see the sensor but it's buried way down there and will be very hard to get a wrench onto...let alone turn it.  The top of the sensor is a plastic connector and is larger than the metal hex part used to remove it.  

If the manifold has to be removed, I'll probably 'say uncle' hand the job over to one of the local shops.   Thanks for the diagram.

Could use a service manual.

IMG-2317.jpg

IMG-2319.jpg

• Moderators

Around 2004, Porsche stopped publishing service manuals in a printed form, switching to an online subscription system called TSI.  The same service information is also included with a PIWIS lease, starting at $20K for the first year.  Yes, you read that correctly!

Well I couldn't get the oil level/temp sensor off to replace it in my attempt to solve the gauge zero degrees reading and 'instrument failure' problem.  

Planning to take it to the shop on Mon.   Reinstalled the front cold air intake ducting but couldn't see where to attach the small vacuum hose attached at the bottom....

Took the car out for a test drive to see how it ran w/o the hose attached and ............the temp and level started working again!   

Not sure what changed.  But drove 70 or 80 miles and it worked fine.   

Engine ran a little rough at idle but seemed otherwise fine....

Anyone know where and how this hose gets connected.  See arrow in the pic... will be very difficult to reattach w/o removing the left intake manifold - if I knew where it goes.   Any diagram, guidance or suggestions appreciated.   

Thanks for the help.

cold air intake.jpg

Well I couldn't get the oil level/temp sensor off to replace it in my attempt to solve the gauge zero degrees reading and 'instrument failure' problem.  

Planning to take it to the shop on Mon.   Reinstalled the front cold air intake ducting but couldn't see where to attach the small vacuum hose attached at the bottom....

Took the car out for a test drive to see how it ran w/o the hose attached and ............the temp and level started working again!   

Not sure what changed.  But drove 70 or 80 miles and it worked fine.   

Engine ran a little rough at idle but seemed otherwise fine....

Anyone know where and how this hose gets connected.  See arrow in the pic... will be very difficult to reattach w/o removing the left intake manifold - if I knew where it goes.   Any diagram, guidance or suggestions appreciated.   

Thanks for the help.