Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rough idling and ignition switch

Hi all,

I have been having two problems with my 987 and I hope you guys may have some ideas on where to start diagnosing.

1. The car idles rough on inclines. It idles perfectly on level ground but when is stopped at either on up slope or down slope, the idling is not happy. I am stumped.

2. The ignition switch. It takes a few jiggling counterclockwise or taking out and putting in again for the car to fire up. Sometimes the steering wheel lock doesn't release but sometimes it does and it still doesn't fire up. After a few tries, then the 987 starts. The dealer said 987 ignition switch is different from 986 and said the 986 switch problem doesn't affect it. They kept saying change out the car battery first. However, I never have a slow crank issue but simply nothing is happening except electrics on when ignition misbehave. And they mention the ignition switch failure should throw a code inside computer which I kind of doubt....

I hope to get some ideas from fellow 987ers. thanks

W

Hi all,

I have been having two problems with my 987 and I hope you guys may have some ideas on where to start diagnosing.

1. The car idles rough on inclines. It idles perfectly on level ground but when is stopped at either on up slope or down slope, the idling is not happy. I am stumped.

2. The ignition switch. It takes a few jiggling counterclockwise or taking out and putting in again for the car to fire up. Sometimes the steering wheel lock doesn't release but sometimes it does and it still doesn't fire up. After a few tries, then the 987 starts. The dealer said 987 ignition switch is different from 986 and said the 986 switch problem doesn't affect it. They kept saying change out the car battery first. However, I never have a slow crank issue but simply nothing is happening except electrics on when ignition misbehave. And they mention the ignition switch failure should throw a code inside computer which I kind of doubt....

W

HI...

Do not have any Boxsters. And I don't have an idea about #1. On #2, did they say to change the car battery or the Key battery? Sometimes if the key battery ( a small watch battery) gets weak, it can case starting problems due to the transponder setup that the car reads when the key is used. May be worth checking. Just a thought

DC

Hi all,

W

HI...

Do not have any Boxsters. And I don't have an idea about #1. On #2, did they say to change the car battery or the Key battery? Sometimes if the key battery ( a small watch battery) gets weak, it can case starting problems due to the transponder setup that the car reads when the key is used. May be worth checking. Just a thought

DC

The dealer mechanic was referring to the car battery. The key remote so far has been operating perfectly so I doubt the battery is weak. However, I'll change it to see if there's an improvement.

Hi all,

W

HI...

DC

The dealer mechanic was referring to the car battery. The key remote so far has been operating perfectly so I doubt the battery is weak. However, I'll change it to see if there's an improvement.

Edited by vizcarra44

Any update? Did you change your KEY BATTERY? Any change in condition? Let us know what you come up with....

Thanks,

DC

sorry didn't update as I want to try it out for a week before I conclude anything. I changed the key battery and so far is operating perfectly and I am hoping that's the issue. I would have never thought is the key battery because I always thought the key battery is only for the remote and not affect the ignition. It wouldn't be good if the key battery goes dead and car wouldn't start....

As for the rough idling on inclines, took it to the dealer and they couldn't observe it nor any codes could be found. The engine never dies out but the engine just felt rough at idle on inclines.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

The intermittent ignition switch problem came back. The battery is brand new. Took it to dealer and of course it doesn't misbehave there. They pulled codes and couldn't find anything. It felt like the immobilizer is simply not recognizing the key when this issue comes up. Mechanically the switch can still be turned on but the electronics is simply dead. Usually a few key reinsert will get it going but it once took me 5 mins of trying to get it going. I wonder would pedro's DIY article apply (on the post 2003 cars)

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Yes, it sounds like the electrical switch is broken on your car. The 987 actually only has an electronic switch - no mechanical links to it. The steering lock is controlled by an electronic solenoid-type box (good luck if *that* fails). You should be able to simply pull off the rubber plug, and release the nut underneath to remove the switch. Here's a link to my article, but the 987 is a lot simpler than the 986: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm

-Wayne

• 5 years later...

Yes, it sounds like the electrical switch is broken on your car. The 987 actually only has an electronic switch - no mechanical links to it. The steering lock is controlled by an electronic solenoid-type box (good luck if *that* fails). You should be able to simply pull off the rubber plug, and release the nut underneath to remove the switch. Here's a link to my article, but the 987 is a lot simpler than the 986: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm -Wayne

Dear Wayne,

Do you have some graphics, or pictures about how to remove the ignition switch in a 987-1?

Thanks in advance,

Rodolfo.