Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Nav Disc Help...yes I've Searched

Hi all!

I need some help determining which Nav disc I need for an '06 997 C2S please.

The disc I have from the dealer is no go as I keep getting "Please insert Navigation DVD"

voice alerts and "Incompatible Navigation Software/Disc" screen alerts when trying to do anything.

Here are the details from my MAIN + TRIP readouts:

SW Versions 4.0

PCM

Target/Actual: 05395BD1/4505

Entered/Found: both yes

Sys

Target/Actual: 05462AD1/4605

Nav

Target: 0

Actual: 00179412/5004

From what I've found, the disc seems to be from early version 2.0 or 2.1 but my software has been updated to [almost] the latest w/ 4.0 and version C if what I've found doing a search holds.

So I presume then I need a much more updated disc since the SW is current - just not sure which one so I can bug my dealer.

Thanks in advance! :)

I think my first question would be where did you get the NAV DVD that you currently have. If the dealer provided it or if you bought the car from a dealer in that condition they have to make it right. If on the other hand you simply bought that NAV DVD w/o checking it's compatibility w/ your PCM level then you'll need to bite the bullet.

I think the latest NAV DVD for the 997.1 is the Navigation Update Kit - P/N 997-044-901-51. I believe it's at a 2008 level regarding POI's and maps.

My suggestion is to have a 'knowledgeable' Porsche service mgr tell you what version of NAV DVD you should use.

If you have a buddy or fellow PCA club member that has a simliar MY 997.1 w/ PCM/NAV you just might try their DVD to see if it plugs 'n plays. That would give you a clue.

I think my first question would be where did you get the NAV DVD that you currently have. If the dealer provided it or if you bought the car from a dealer in that condition they have to make it right. If on the other hand you simply bought that NAV DVD w/o checking it's compatibility w/ your PCM level then you'll need to bite the bullet.

I think the latest NAV DVD for the 997.1 is the Navigation Update Kit - P/N 997-044-901-51. I believe it's at a 2008 level regarding POI's and maps.

My suggestion is to have a 'knowledgeable' Porsche service mgr tell you what version of NAV DVD you should use.

If you have a buddy or fellow PCA club member that has a simliar MY 997.1 w/ PCM/NAV you just might try their DVD to see if it plugs 'n plays. That would give you a clue.

Thanks for your help. Actually, the issue is this. I recently bought the car CPO'd from an out of state dealer. They should have provided the correct DVD from the get go but of course I wasn't able to check it until delivery. This is the second disc they've sent me which hasn't worked. I imagine they're just hoping to keep trying to send me older discs to make it work when in reality, especially since it's SW ver 4.0, they need to bite the bullet and send me a fresher one. I'm hoping someone here knows exactly what I need based on the info I provided so I can get this finally resolved.

Appreciate the help :)

Sound like they're just sending you DVD's from their 'scrap pile'.

The Cayenne, Boxster and 911 all use the same type but not the same versions due to PCM configurations and levels.

Any Porsche parts guy should be able to look up your VIN and/or PCM level and tell you exactly which NAV DVD's will play.

The Cayenne, Boxster and 911 all use the same type but not the same versions due to PCM configurations and levels.

Any Porsche parts guy should be able to look up your VIN and/or PCM level and tell you exactly which NAV DVD's will play.

Thanks, just trying to help the process along since this was the second attempt ;)

Thanks, just trying to help the process along since this was the second attempt ;)

Hi Cassiebox

Have you got your issue resolved?

My 2006 Cayenne S has the same issue as yours when I insert a 2007 DVD into the DVD drive.

I am starting to wonder if the DVD drive itself is 'shot', then not reading anything at all !

I put 2009 navigation update CD in the DVD drive and nothing happens.I have SW version 4.0 and level C update in everything.

What do you think ?

If you plan to update to the newer maps yourself here is the information you should be aware of : The 2007 and 2009 map DVD requires a new level of navigation software to run on any PCM 2.1 (cayenne, boxster , 911 , cayman) The TSB from porsche clearly states that the multimedia update CD must be insterted into the navigation DVD drive , to update the navigation software , BEFORE the new map DVD (applies to both 2007 and 2009 versions) can be used. The issue is not with the PCM software , but the navigation drive software. The navigation drive used in the cayenne is the same as the 911 and boxster so the update CD is the same part number. I have plenty of experience updating PCM 2.1 units and this is always the case. The only times that the use of the multimedia update CD can be avoided , is when the navigation unit has been updated with all four bi yearly updates from 2005 through to 2006. The navigation software used on the 2007 and 2009 map DVD is the same as that provided on the self updating map DVD in late 2006. The simplest and most sure fire way of loading the 2007 or 2009 map DVD is to use the prescribed software from porsche (multimedia update CD) in the correct method outlined in the TSB. The update multimedia CD is not available separately from porsche , so you need to contact someone that already has one and borrow it.

Alternatively you could go to your local OPC and ask porsche to supply the map DVD and updates and install them for you.

Edited by berty987

berty987-

Thanks for chiming in. I was hoping you would since you seem to be a resident expert on Nav (your detailed posts always seem to come up). Having said that, thanks for all your previous contributions as they've helped me get this far.

Regarding your post directly above, I'm not sure if you are 'talking' to me or hubsew? I think we have 2 different issues. Since I'm the OP and my issue is not resolved yet ;) ....

My situation is this bluntly - I bought the car recently from an out of state dealer and am trying to get them to provide the correct Nav disc needed based on the s/w ver. and PCM, System and Nav data I posted above. They've tried twice now w/ different discs (last one was date 4.2005) which give me nothing but errors. Since this should be correct from delivery dealer, I don't want to use up goodwill I have from local dealer to correct - especially since I didn't buy vehicle from them...

So, do you know, or can you tell from the data I posted above, what disc/part # I need to have selling dealer send me to make my Nav function correctly?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cassiebox,

Your PCM is a later level C version so it doesnt need any updates to run with a 2007 or 2009 map DVD other than the navigation drive to be updated to software level 00179436/3306. The software cannot be updated on later cars , the software levels you posted look correct for the year of car you have. To do the navigation update you need the " PCM 2.1 multimedia update CD Navigation MY08 part no 000 044 901 40" loaded into the navigation DVD drive with the engine and PCM switched off. Wait about 1 min before starting the engine and powering on the PCM, then select nav and accept the screen prompt to update the navigation system. Wait for the update to complete , which usually ends in an error saying there is no navigation CD. Then turn off the PCM and engine , wait 2 mins before ejecting the CD from the DVD drive , then insert the 2009 map DVD , wait another min before starting the engine and PCM again. Then select the Nav screen and again accept the prompt to load new maps. After the update , the map is displayed and the navigation is active , ready to accept a new destination. The nav software level should be at the level I described above.

Edited by berty987