Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After Market Turbo For 97 986 2.5

Hello I have a question, im thinking about getting an after market turbo, I know if I do this I will have to change out the exhaust and several other things. I just want to know is it worth it, in the short run yes this could be costly and in the long run would this cause engine damage. Is it more wise to change out the engine from a 2.5 to a 3.4 or something. I want the quick speed and still keep the good gas mileage. Can someone help me or give me advice about this I greatly appreciate it thank you.

HI,

I would go turbo over an engine upgrade. Check out TPC at this link TURBO BOXSTER. They have a long standing great reputation...And you can get about 100 whp boost at 4.5 psi on a 986.

Cost is about $7500 + install. I think a better solution than trying an engine swap. The torque on my 997 Turbo feels great. You will get a similar kick when your turbos spin up.

Just my 2 cents...Good luck!

DC

And when the engine blows from the boost it wasn't designed for, you can install the 3.4. Jake Raby has already expressed how weak the connecting rods and other internals are...about the only thing up to snuff are the heads. I realize 4.5 psi is not that great, but you already have a fairly high compression ratio of 11:1 to deal with.

It's probably harder on an already flawed engine, but the 3.4 is just as flawed and is really no big hp gain. With that said, the extra 70-90 hp i got from my 4.5 boost is an elluva lot of fun.

Regards, PK

And when the engine blows from the boost it wasn't designed for, you can install the 3.4. Jake Raby has already expressed how weak the connecting rods and other internals are...about the only thing up to snuff are the heads. I realize 4.5 psi is not that great, but you already have a fairly high compression ratio of 11:1 to deal with.

I imagine that if the Boxster engines were blowing up, the company would not be in business very long....And they have been. I would assume that the engineers and technicians at this company

take into account the engine specs....They do not just fit a pipe and turbo and wait for it to blow. In fact, these folks at TPC have developed The World's Fastest VTG 997Turbo. So they must know

something about forced induction and turbos?

Any modification has the potential to strain an engine.....So if you want to go with that concept....Buy the cars and leave them all stock.

I imagine that if the Boxster engines were blowing up, the company would not be in business very long....And they have been. I would assume that the engineers and technicians at this company

take into account the engine specs....They do not just fit a pipe and turbo and wait for it to blow. In fact, these folks at TPC have developed The World's Fastest VTG 997Turbo. So they must know

something about forced induction and turbos?

Any modification has the potential to strain an engine.....So if you want to go with that concept....Buy the cars and leave them all stock.

Yes. TPC does know a lot about FI on the Boxster... which is why they abandoned all support for the turbo or SC on a Boxster 2.5L. (see their website) Just too many scattered parts all over the racetrack. Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it but the 3.4 conversion is tried and true with lots of cars turning approx 300hp at the wheels with no driveability issues. Personally I prefer to run my 2.5L with a bone stock motor and simply drive around all those turbo cars. Suggestion: Run your car on the track for a year and then decide if you really need a more HP. It may surprise you.