Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

97 Boxster Still No Start

I am still wrestling with the starting problem on my 97 boxster. censored.gif I have replaced the ignition switch and battery. I have bypassed the clutch interlock switch. When I turn on the ignition, all warning lights come on, radio & headlights work. Absolutely no power to the starter motor. censored.gif Unless there is another fuse or relay in the starter circuit, I am starting to think replacing starter motor is the only option left. I just want to be sure i have explored every option prior to changing the starter motor. As Little Richard would say......Hep Me, Hep Me, Hep Me Pleeeeeeeeeeease!! helpsmilie.gif

Zok

not sure if I can be any help. but you need to check with a meter if the starter is getting the correct voltage when your trying to start the car? what is the voltage across battery? what is the voltage across the battery when you are trying the start the car? Does the starter click like it is trying to start? how did the problems start, little bit at a time or all at once?

casharp1,

not sure if I can be any help. but you need to check with a meter if the starter is getting the correct voltage when your trying to start the car? what is the voltage across battery? what is the voltage across the battery when you are trying the start the car? Does the starter click like it is trying to start? how did the problems start, little bit at a time or all at once?

Voltage across battery is 12.5V, voltage during starting attempt is the same, no fluctuation. The starter does not click.

The problem started when I replaced the battery, about a month ago. After the battery replacement, the car started OK 3 or 4 times, about 3 days between each starting event.

The last time I attempted to start the car the ignition turned on as normal, but when I turned the ignition switch to the start position, nothing.

I checked the battery, almost totally drained. I charged the battery and tried to start. nothing.

I replaced the ignition switch. ( this will be the 3rd time over the last 8 years) Nothing.

I replaced the battery. (Interstate battery bought at Sam's, replaced under warranty) Nothing.

I jumped the clutch interlock switch. Nothing.

I have swapped around the interchangeable relays in the relay block, but not the starter relay. This part is on order. No change

I am going to take a look at the immobilizer this morning and see if I can see any obvious problems there.

any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Zok

casharp got U in the right direction,,,,

measure at the starter terminal first, if that is OK U can eliminate the starter relay / ECU.

If not, we need to go backward.

Juniinc,

It was the f**king key chip. After batteries, jumped clutch switches and a new ignition switch, it appears my problem was a faulty key chip. I tried my spare key and the car started.

go figure.

Zok