Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fan Relay Help

• Moderators

There are 2 relays for each fan, high and low speed. I have them marked in pairs for each side of the car, but the wiring diagram does not say which pair is for what side. All 4 of them are identical so you can start swaping to see if that is the problem.

There is also a ballast resistor for each fan. If that goes bad then the one fan on that resistor will not work.

post-4-1100377847_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Does the cooling fan remain off at all times?

If the cooling fan is on at first and then off or off at first and then on, it's probably the resistor.

Since the cooling fans in the front has two speeds, high and low and the resistor controls that.

The resistor going bad is a fairly common problem since if you drive over a puddle of water, that water splashing up can take it out. (happened to me).

If this is the case, bring it to a porsche tech, the guy who did my car did it for 50 bucks.

- Mike

Jersey Joe,

Start your car and listen to it...when the first fan comes on, on the left side, that's the low speed. Then wait awhile and you should hair an increase in speed of the left fan, and if the right side still doesn't come on then, it's probably something else.

Anyways, to access all the wiring for the radiator fan, you have to remove your right front wheel and then take out the plastic panel behind it (real easy to do).

Then up at the front, you'll see the wires for the radiator fan, which consisters of like 3 parts or so and one of those parts is the resistor (you'd have to pull it out since the entire apparatus is wrapped around the front bumper). It is most likely that one of these 3 parts is the problem.

- mike

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, now on this resistor. Where is it? What does it look like?

Can i swap them to see if my problem swaps sides?

The resistor is a small capsule like tube(maybe 3-4 inches long) that has a few green and black wires running into it (I cant remember exactly). Its pretty easy to find if you look up from underneath at the area behind the radiators.

Problem solved ! it was the resistor. it would allow the high speed side to work but failed on the low speed.

Real e-z to fix. Had the bumper off to clean the rads out anyway.

Part cost $25 from Sunset Imports.

Any questions let me know,

Thanks for all who replyed ! :cheers:

Edited by jerseyjoe