Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fixing Rear Cab Window

Trying to fix up the rear window, on a very small budget, so replacing top is out of question. I was thinking about stitching the window back into place with black or dark blue thread, and cleaning it with some kind of plastic window cleaner (like Novus Polish, recommend by Miata owners http://novuspolish.com/) but would like to buy something that is available at Autozone or Pepboys

Has anybody ever done this? I attached a picture of my top

post-57455-127589232333_thumb.jpg

Edited by *fill-up*

I doubt you can *clean-up* the plastic window to your satisfaction. I am surprised it hasn't cracked and broken yet.... any yellowing? We found a car upholstery shop that did tops as well (most do I think) and had new plastic sewn in for about $150.00. FYI, a friend put a new top on her Boxster (glass not plastic) for about $2600.00

I doubt you can *clean-up* the plastic window to your satisfaction. I am surprised it hasn't cracked and broken yet.... any yellowing? We found a car upholstery shop that did tops as well (most do I think) and had new plastic sewn in for about $150.00. FYI, a friend put a new top on her Boxster (glass not plastic) for about $2600.00

Hey thanks for the reply, but unfortunately both those are out of my budget for the top, I just spent $450 on a new starter w/install and $300 on a hardtop so I am not worried about my softop looking perfect, just better than a droppy discolored clear window.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by *fill-up*

It's going to be a problem for you owning a Porsche if $150 bucks is out of your budget. Unfortunetly your starter is not going to be the last thing that you'll have to replace. Owning an older 996 requires some emergency cash.

Good luck with your top. I would go with Fill_Up's reco and get a new plastic sewn in..

cheers.gif

Trying to fix up the rear window, on a very small budget, so replacing top is out of question. I was thinking about stitching the window back into place with black or dark blue thread, and cleaning it with some kind of plastic window cleaner (like Novus Polish, recommend by Miata owners http://novuspolish.com/) but would like to buy something that is available at Autozone or Pepboys

Has anybody ever done this? I attached a picture of my top

post-57455-127589232333_thumb.jpg

If you are capable of stitching the existing window back in place, why not just sew in a new vinyl window...then you'll have no worries about trying to revive the old window.

A poster here named Juniinc had sewn in vinyl windows into his and other Boxsters and it's definitely doable. It's painstaking work which puts some strain on your back, but a replacement piece of vinyl will set you back less than $100. Do a search here for his thread and you'll get an idea of what you are up against.

If you are able to remove the complete top and frame assembly, you can do the sewing on a workbench, which will make the job easier. I'm only familiar with Boxster tops, but I imagine it can't be much more difficult on a 911.

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.

It's going to be a problem for you owning a Porsche if $150 bucks is out of your budget. Unfortunetly your starter is not going to be the last thing that you'll have to replace. Owning an older 996 requires some emergency cash.]

That is why I can't really go over $150, I like to have at least $500 in a rainy day account for just the car. Plus I am not to worried about it looking perfect, 75% on the time I have the top down, and in 3-4 months the hardtop will go on

If you are capable of stitching the existing window back in place, why not just sew in a new vinyl window...then you'll have no worries about trying to revive the old window.

A poster here named Juniinc had sewn in vinyl windows into his and other Boxsters and it's definitely doable. It's painstaking work which puts some strain on your back, but a replacement piece of vinyl will set you back less than $100. Do a search here for his thread and you'll get an idea of what you are up against.

If you are able to remove the complete top and frame assembly, you can do the sewing on a workbench, which will make the job easier. I'm only familiar with Boxster tops, but I imagine it can't be much more difficult on a 911.

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks, I think this is what I will do, I am going to try using the cleaning sovlent to clean the current window, if no luck them I will buy a new roll of the plastic and make my own window :)