Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Disc Valve Failure

Good day all,

Sunday memorial weekend, while I was on a ride to Nevada City, Ca., coolant warning came on hwy 49 in Auburn Ca., did not think much of it other than need to add more coolant, then a gentelman behind me was flashing his lights, I though to my self is it someone I know, so I slowed down and the gentleman said " better watch your temperature gage, you lost a lot of coolant back there", so I stopped at a shopping center to investigate, now I can smell the burning coolant and can see a trail of coolant behind me, as soon as I stopped, I can see smoke on the right rear side, took a look under the car and coolant was leaking all over the parking lot in buckets (exaggerating), to make a long story short I was thinking it had to be a hose failure.

AAA came to resuce (what was suppose to be a 20 min wait turned out to be one hour and a half wait) and towed car home.

post-20238-127607991876_thumb.jpg

After exposing engine from top and front and jacked up the car, no hose failure in site (very odd I thought), so the next step would be getting distilled water to find out where the leak is, got 4 gallons of distilled water and 1.5 gallon later found where the failure is.

#12 (Disc Valve)

post-20238-127608039856_thumb.jpg

post-20238-127608111933_thumb.jpg

post-20238-127608098957_thumb.jpg

notice the separation of the black piece from white piece

that is where the coolant was leaking from.

this is the new Disc Valve

post-20238-127608156278_thumb.jpg

so next step is to figure out how to get the darn thing out, considering the limited access from top of engine, got one factory clamp out of the way (from top of engine access) then disconnect water line supply #6 from ATF cooler from under car. then take everything out the top engine access.

so if you have a chance to inspect the valve I would do so asap, or even better replace it.

everything back to normal for now.

• 2 months later...