Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 C4S Front Differential Leaking And Bushings

Loren, and other wizards,

I do drive the car as it was intended and have driven the Nurbergring several times.

Question 1

I have a oil leak(s) and it(they) seems to be the seals from the front axles to the front differential housing. Does the front transaxle have to be dropped to replace these two seals? Is that the likely problem? I have had the coil overs changed out twice (JICs once and KW the second time) and each time the front axles were slid out of the differential housing and slid back in upon coil over replacement. Is it common that the seals leak when the axles are reinstalled into the differential housing?

Question 2

The two front transmission bushings of my C4s seem to have an open area in the rubber bushing directly toward the ground (I can feel it with my finger). My assumption is that the bushing has failed in a single direction splitting the bushing in one single direction. This would account for the sharp clunking that I hear when hitting sharp road imperfections in my mind. Does any of this resemble any problem(s) that you have solved before?

Greatfully

Steve

Don't have an answer on the leaks but I am curious on what the responses will be. I finished the installation of my coil overs yesterday. A 2000 Scott, and had the driveshafts on both sides out. Ironically, the manual says to undo the bolt that holds the shaft into the wheel carrier, as if the shaft would come out of the carrier but stay in the differential. I did this on the first side, but there was no way the shaft was coming out of the carrier without being pressed.

• Admin

1. No, but the front axles would need to come out. You will need to press out the flanged shaft. The new seal will require a special seal seating tool.

2. Not sure what you mean by bushings but it sound like there is play in the cardan shaft or the bearing has gone.

I suggest you find a good Porsche shop and have them put it up on a lift and confirm what is wrong.