Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 3.2 V6 Timing/ignition problem

hi

i have a 04 v6 3.2 tiptronic, 80.000miles. And it has a weird problem. Porsche here in Norway arrent really sure about what it is and suggested that they take the whole engine out to check it. Which to me seems unnecessary.

The problem is this:

The idle is ok, but from idle while driving up to about 4250RPM the engine sounds like its misfiring and pulls badly. It sounds like its under a lot of strain and I think its noisier then it used to be. The engine sound noticeably changes at about 4250RPM, above that the engine has a nice, healthy sound.

The check engine light is not on, nor are any other fault indicators.

According to a local mechanic it gives out fault codes on the crank sensor and the cam axel sensor. He believes the sensors need replacing. Porsche Oslo thinks it needs a new timing chain and adjustment. And Porsche Sweeden thinks it needs new spark plugs and coils.

But no one "over here" have had this problem before apparently :-/ so now im kind of stuck.. Do some of you have any advice? :)

Does the V6 also have coil prob?.....Its using a diff coil from the V8.

I do notice a bom bom sound during cold start-up....and gone after awhile....but it never happen when the engine is hot.

i usually warm the engine awhile (abt 2mins) b4 driving off.

Edited by armitagecayenne

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem since I own my 2004 3.2 V6... And one Renntech member (thanks him) find the problem and it take about 5-10 mins to fix it. Go to the vw dealer and order the upper hydrolic timing chain tensioner (same as the touareg 3.2). In canada I paid about 60$ but probably cheaper in usa. Make sure your car and engine is not moving and put the handbrake. If you face the car on your left side from the top of the engine put your hand just over the cat (make sure engine is cold) and you will touch but not see a 27mm hexagonal bolt. Take a ratchet and extension remove old tensioner (few drops of oil will drop) take the new one soak in it in oil and put it back slowly and tight it. At the first 3-4 engine restart you may hear knocking noice, probably the computer need to adjust. I made it this week, I can provide you the part number if you want. I have video showing exactly (before) the loud noise and at 4250 rpm and up engine running smoothly. It also fix the knocking during warmup.

Even Porsche dealer where not able to find the problem, thanks to Renntech.

I had the same problem since I own my 2004 3.2 V6... And one Renntech member (thanks him) find the problem and it take about 5-10 mins to fix it. Go to the vw dealer and order the upper hydrolic timing chain tensioner (same as the touareg 3.2). In canada I paid about 60$ but probably cheaper in usa. Make sure your car and engine is not moving and put the handbrake. If you face the car on your left side from the top of the engine put your hand just over the cat (make sure engine is cold) and you will touch but not see a 27mm hexagonal bolt. Take a ratchet and extension remove old tensioner (few drops of oil will drop) take the new one soak in it in oil and put it back slowly and tight it. At the first 3-4 engine restart you may hear knocking noice, probably the computer need to adjust. I made it this week, I can provide you the part number if you want. I have video showing exactly (before) the loud noise and at 4250 rpm and up engine running smoothly. It also fix the knocking during warmup.

Even Porsche dealer where not able to find the problem, thanks to Renntech.

Hi!

Thanks so much, i will definitely try this out tomorrow! Porsche Oslo, in Norway, wanted 4000$ to repair it, and change the whole timing chain. So if this works, you've saved me a lot of cash! ;-)

Just to be clear, are there 2 tensioners, one upper and one lower?

Here is more information:

If you look at the picture, you will see where is located the upper timing chain tensioner. The last picture is the defect part with the new box and you can see the part number (vw dealer number, same as touareg 3.2L). Check this picture and you will see the week free play of the tensioner (the chrome color). The brand new part is able to move like the green line, and the defect only the red line distance.

This resolve about 95% of the problem, but I drove about 100,000 km with the defect tensioner and I probably damaged the timing chain or the lower tensioner.

If you go to youtube, you can hear the noise (about a minute after startup) before I changed the part:

Thanks I hope this will help you.

Just let me know if it works on your engine.

GUY

post-23860-018163200 1281359988_thumb.jp

post-23860-066578500 1281360008_thumb.jp

post-23860-024923800 1281360025_thumb.jp

post-23860-089598600 1281360054_thumb.jp

If you look at the picture, you will see where is located the upper timing chain tensioner. The last picture is the defect part with the new box and you can see the part number (vw dealer number, same as touareg 3.2L). Check this picture and you will see the week free play of the tensioner (the chrome color). The brand new part is able to move like the green line, and the defect only the red line distance.

This resolve about 95% of the problem, but I drove about 100,000 km with the defect tensioner and I probably damaged the timing chain or the lower tensioner.

If you go to youtube, you can hear the noise (about a minute after startup) before I changed the part:

GUY

hi

I will let you know as soon as possible. Volkswagen didnt have the part in stock, but they will get i tomorrow, so I will try to replace it then ;)

Mine doesnt make as much noise as youres but still there is something wrong, so lets just hope this works !

regards

GUY

Have now changed it, it didn’t help much unfortunately.

So far I have replaced:

- the spark plugs

- All coils

- oil and filter

- Air filter

- Timing chain tensioner

only things left to change is the crank sensor and the cam axel sensor. To me it looks like the faulty chain tensioner has stretched the chain so much so, that it need to be replaced.

Any thoughts? :)

These timing chains are very reliable. Your mechanic should be able to test the cam/crank sensors without just guessing and replacing them. What engine oil have you been using in the past? The valve cover can also be removed and the timing chains inspected for play or being out of time. Be sure they also inspect the chain tensioners and it would be a wise idea to test the fuel pumps (both left and right pumps) for pressure and volume.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow that sucks.

i changed timing chain tensioner on my 04 CTT and the code does not come back as frequent now. still the angle readings are off big time. someone suggests using 5w40 instead of 0w40

i plan to change the timing chain and all the guides next week. 185k km now. VarioCam seems to be okay.

• 1 year later...

wow that sucks. i changed timing chain tensioner on my 04 CTT and the code does not come back as frequent now. still the angle readings are off big time. someone suggests using 5w40 instead of 0w40 i plan to change the timing chain and all the guides next week. 185k km now. VarioCam seems to be okay.

Which code did you have? Mine is P0017, and only come back when engine is started in cold condition. (My car is 2004 Cayenne 3.2L). I want to know where should I start. Would changing the timing chain tensioner be helpful? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi, it seems the problem with P0017 is worldwide. I have similar noise and lose of power when I get on motoway when start cold engine. It hapens always in last 3 years in winter time. There is no problem in summer. I believe, the problem is exhaust camshaft actuator not returning to his base position and cousing camshaft to operate in advance to TDC vs. being close to TDC based on VW docs. Gents from W8 and W12 forum reported issues with stacked actuators and solution was to apply 12V electroshock therapy to those actuators to move and clean passage for oil. In VW W8 there is easy access to conectors, while in Cayenne and Touareg it is extramelly difficult and this is why I did not try it yet. But, things are getting worse with time. I tried engine flushe, but it did not solve the problem.

Just wonder, if anyone tried to do so on VR6 engines or something less expensive than replasing motor

Thanks, Krzysztof

• 1 year later...

Hello, I changed to my uncles Porsche Cayenne V6 2004 the oil & oil filter, then the Head Valves Gasket with the SparkPlugs, and use the car after that and it was fine!, but the maintence light came in every single time, so i cheked the brakes and they were almost end, at the point that the pads sensor were worn, so I changed the brake pads with the sensor, so I turn on the car after that and the engine was fine, I moved forward to try the brakes, brake it! the put reverse, brake it again, and the cars starts to iddle between 620 rpm to 1000 rpm, and then it turned off! the I tried to start it again, and it does not start! when its suddlenly starts the engine runs in 620pms and I put the throttle and does not acelerate and then the engines turn off it self, the principal screen sends me that I have to chage 1 of the Tail lights, and when I try to start it shows me some problem with the ABS or PSM, what can you suggest? Thank You!