Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wiring a 5.2.2 DME on a bench supply

Hello,

I'm trying to create a suitable harness so I can power a DME from a bench supply and then connect a durametric or PST2 to the DME without it being in car.

I have the work shop manual with the wiring diagram for the 5.2.2 motronic and have located this post describing what each pin is for.

Am I over simplifying or does this look right, I think I might be missing a few things?

Ground

DME pin 6 (chassis) & 55 (ignition)

OBD pin 4

Bench supply ground

12 Volt Constant

DME pin 26

OBD pin 16

12 volt (13.8v) bench supply power

Ignition (terminal 15)

DME pin 56

OBD pin 1

12 volt (13.8v) bench supply power

Programming

DME pin 60

OBD pin 12

K-LINE

DME pin 88

OBD pin 7

edit: the above worked - I was able to read the DME using Durametric while sitting on my table connected to a 12v power supply.

Edited by logray

There is constant power on pin 26 but probably also another pin "switched" to sense ignition right?

Perhaps I don't have the correct diagram, could this be Motronic 5.2 and not 5.2.2 I am looking at? I am seeing two grounds going to the DME (55 ignition and 6 ground terminal), although 56 shows "terminal 15" on my diagram...

dme.jpg

According to the diagram above and these posts, I think 56 is "ignition/key on power" since on my diagram it shows terminal 15.

http://www.durametri...orsche-993.aspx (shows pin 1/obd as terminal 15)

http://www.renntech....and-connectors/ (shows ping 56 as terminal 15)

I think I understand what you are saying though, I might not need pin 55 ignition ground, since there is already pin 6 ground.

Edited by logray

• Admin

The only DME's used on the 9x6 series (to my knowledge) were 5.2.2, 7.2 and 7.8.

Ground "Term 31" is chassis ground so you should be good there but connect all grounds (that are labeled term 31) - different power and circuits within the DME.

Thanks, I've read/heard that the 5.2 is very similar to the 5.2.2.

The strange thing is when I turn the key to the on position, I don't get voltage on pin 56, so I am thinking I'm missing something...

Ok, got it, the first post has the details, I'm not sure if some of these are unnecessary or not.

This is enough for Durametic to read a 5.2.2 dme when it's sitting on your table connected to a good solid 12 volt power supply.

Hmmm... actual values such as voltage don't show up. I think I'm missing a pin. Or maybe I need to ground pin 5 on OBD side?

Edit: Nope, that didn't do it. I'm at a loss here. PST2 or Durmetric won't read values such as voltage with the DME wired in this way. Either I'm missing a pin to the DME or something else isn't right.

Edited by logray

• 1 year later...

I know that it is now more than a year ago, since the last post on this subject but I was playing with the ME5.2.2 today on my bench and can confirm the following worked for me:

+12v = pins 26 AND 56 (Important to connect both to +

-12v = pin 28 (This could be any ground connector, such as 27 though)

L-Line = pin 87 (Probably not needed as it's for older cars only, but it was on the Porsche diagram I saw, so I connected it anyway.)

K-Line = pin 88

I used a Galletto cable for my test and downloaded a binary dump from the DME, so it all worked fine for me.

One point to note is that I use a proper Lab supply to give 13.5v DC on my workbench, for performing ECU stuff.

Here is a photo of an ME5.2.2 with the pinouts shown: Porsche-ME5.2.2-Bench-Flash-Pinouts.jpg

I think I posted this somewhere else but will post it again here.

These are all of the pins required. Fewer might work, but you'll miss some functions/monitors within the DME without all of these.

Ground

DME pin 6, 28, 34, 55

OBD pin 4

12 Volt Constant

DME pin 26. 56 (ign)

OBD pin 16

OBD pin 1

K-LINE

DME pin 88

OBD pin 7

Programming, apply 12volts at time of programming

DME pin 60

OBD pin 12

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am about to change the 2,5l engine in my boxster to the 3,4l engine. I tried to read the DME (motronic 5.2.2) according to this guide but the file I get is only 16kb while the file for the 3,4 engine is 128kb... I I have tried with Galletto 1260 and MPPS V12 and the both make the same file... I have also tried to read the DME in the car with the same result... Does anyone have an idea? What is the correct size of the file dump?

I do not want to try flashing if not reading feels ok...

BR / Oskar Jakobsson, Sweden

Sorry Raxo, I don't believe the info on how to do what you are after is publicly available, and if it was, it would be considered an infringement of international copyright held by Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.

Secure access to the DME is protected and I believe required to get what you are after.

That being said, for a paltry sum of $1,000,000,000 USD I'm sure Porsche would be willing to license this information to you.

Furthermore, if it was available, it certainly would not be posted on this board.

• Admin

The program for a 3.4 liter already exists if you program the DME with a Porsche PST2 or a Porsche PIWIS tester.

Find a good shop with one of those and do it legally.

Further discussion of hacking or copying/dumping copyrighted material here will not be allowed (per the site Guidelines/Rules that all agree to when they register here).