Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Any such thing as a comfortable ride in a Boxster

Hi All,

Seeking a peculiar request here. I've owned my Boxster for a fair few years now, and I've loved every minute of it. But having recently moved to an area that seems to be littered in potholes and tram tracks and uneven roads,, and as age has started to ruin my back, I was seeking input on whether there's anyway on smoothing the ride of my car.

I don't want to sacrifice handling too much, as thats the allure of the Boxster, but my fear is that now a 13 year old car, is there the potential of worn shocks, suspension etc that is exacerbating the situation. People tells me its tyres, and I couldn't agree more, but I'm not sure what to get, that provides that balance of performance and balance. Also being located in Australia, makes all the fancy stuff discussed here even more difficult to get.

So keen to hear your thoughts, is there anything in particular I should look at, tell tale signs of wear. I know it will never will be a tugboat of a car, but when compared to other younger sports cars I've driven, the Boxster doesn't have that crispness too it, and I just cant put my finger on why.

Please don't flame me and tell me to sell the car. I can't bear to part with it, and it does handle beautifully and gives me enough of a smile when I bring the kid out in me, and give it a little squirt.

But keen to hear thoughts and opinions that may help

Thanks to all who reply

Daryl

Edited by Daryl80

Daryl, we have a 98 986 with 91k miles on it and I would agree with your assesment. It has lost some of it's 'comfort' but I have just replaced the rear springs and struts and that made a world of difference. Also I chose Yokohama ADVAN S4's all the way around (17'') rims and it also helped with the jarring over rougher roads. I also dont run them at the highest PSI numbers from the factory. Normal in the fronts between 28 and 30 psi and for normal driving 35 to 36 in the rears. When we A/X the car I stiffen them up but those PSI numbers seem to give me a nice compormise and a more comfortable ride. The new springs and struts made a HUGE dirrerence and I went with the stock parts from Porsche.

Happy motoring

m2

Daryl I was having the same issues with my '99 Boxster and its OEM suspension and I decided to install the ROW M030 Sport suspension and my Boxster now feels and handles like a new car. Although it is discussed as a stiffer suspension the new Bilsteins and sport springs absorb all of the road pounding instead of transmitting it up through the seat as the old suspension did. I was wondering if I would be able to keep the car as my 63 year old back was really having problems but now I'll be driving it for a lot more years. I also replaced the Pirelli's that were OEM on it with Sumitomo HTR ZIII's and they have also made a difference in ride quality and less noise. Handling with the combo is superb.

To riff on mcmike27s point, the smallest rims you can stand looks-wise, the better your ride. Surprisingly you can still have a really nice handling car. I’ve seen people tracking 16”s.

You could also have an upulstry shop add some padding. Not to hard if the leather is good

Regards, PK

Hi All,

Thanks heaps for your replies. great to hear of other people's experiences, and glad I'm not alone here. Ok, so next stop new Yoko's perhaps and some Bilsteins. Not sure where to find a set of ROW's in Australia, but I'll keep the hunt out as well. - ------- mcmike27, any reason why you only changed the rear struts?

- infocusf8, you inspire me to keep this car for a while too......

thanks all!

Daryl

• 3 weeks later...

Daryl I was having the same issues with my '99 Boxster and its OEM suspension and I decided to install the ROW M030 Sport suspension and my Boxster now feels and handles like a new car. Although it is discussed as a stiffer suspension the new Bilsteins and sport springs absorb all of the road pounding instead of transmitting it up through the seat as the old suspension did. I was wondering if I would be able to keep the car as my 63 year old back was really having problems but now I'll be driving it for a lot more years. I also replaced the Pirelli's that were OEM on it with Sumitomo HTR ZIII's and they have also made a difference in ride quality and less noise. Handling with the combo is superb.

Thanks for those comments. My M030 suspension is being installed today and it's good to hear that you are satisfied with it. My back is 64 yrs old.

Bob

Hi All,

Thanks heaps for your replies. great to hear of other people's experiences, and glad I'm not alone here. Ok, so next stop new Yoko's perhaps and some Bilsteins. Not sure where to find a set of ROW's in Australia, but I'll keep the hunt out as well. - ------- mcmike27, any reason why you only changed the rear struts?

thanks all!

Daryl

Hi there fellow Aussie,

I think you will find that (like most things) the world is divided into the USA market and the Rest of World (whic includes us Aussies) so getting the MO30 should not be an issue and in fact if my logic is correct should be the standard fit.

For those of you installing the ROW suspension here are the US alignment specs and having the car aligned to these specs makes a difference in handling as I found out when mine wasn't aligned properly. For the US it is the ROW Sport alignment so you'll have to figure out which category your suspension falls into but the dealer you bought it from should have the correct alignment programmed into their alignment equipment. If you're outside the US these will not be correct as your springs are different.

Wheel Alignment Values

The following values relate to empty weight; full fuel tank, vehicle with spare and tools but W/O driver and additional weights.

Front Axle – Boxster and Boxster S

USA: Series & Sport RoW: Series RoW: Sport

Toe unpressed (total)

+5’ ±5’

+5’ ± 5’

+5’ ± 5’

Toe difference angle @ 20⁰ lock

-1° 20’ ± 30’

-1° 50’ ± 30’

-2° 20’ ± 30’

Camber(with wheels straight forward)

5° ± 30’

-10’ ± 30’

-15’ ± 30’

Max difference Left to Right

20’

20’

20’

Caster *

8° ±30’

8° ± 30’

8° ±30’

Max difference, Left to Right

40’

40’

40’

 * A caster adjusting facility is normally not necessary for the Boxster and is therefore not present in series vehicles. In the event of repairs, a caster adjustment facility can be installed if necessary.

Rear Axle – Boxster and Boxster S

USA: Series & Sport RoW: Series RoW: Sport

Toe per wheel

+5’ ± 5’

+5’ ± 5’

+5’ ± 5’

Max. Difference Left to Right

10’

10’

10’

Camber

-1° 20’ ±30’

-1° 20’ ±30’

-1° 30’ ± 30’

Max. Difference, Left to Right

20’

20’

20’

©PCA Boxster Register 2010 Some technical information used in this article is copyrighted by and used with the permission of Porsche Cars North America.

Daryl, our fronts are still good no worries with them as all of the weight is over the rears with the mid engine.

:)

thanks all!

Daryl