Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

All wheel drive - front diff - oil change

Hi - I removed the oil today from the front diff. As I undid the fill plug, there was a hissing sound as air either entered or escaped from the diff. This suggests to me that the vent / bleeder is blocked. The housing is also damp with oil which appears to have come throught the shaft seals - which would be understandable if the diff the became pressurised as the oil heated up....

Has anyone experienced this before?

Has anyone changed the bleed valve before?

Thanks,

Derek

Hi - I removed the oil today from the front diff. As I undid the fill plug, there was a hissing sound as air either entered or escaped from the diff. This suggests to me that the vent / bleeder is blocked. The housing is also damp with oil which appears to have come throught the shaft seals - which would be understandable if the diff the became pressurised as the oil heated up....

Has anyone experienced this before?

Has anyone changed the bleed valve before?

Thanks,

Derek

The VC itsself is ALWAYS hermetically SEALED so it is entirely possible that the design Porsche uses has the entire VC "case" fully sealed. Some VC's even have an inert gas under pressure inside the case. Gas "bubble" is used to delay the onset of VC coupling. So there may not be a vent/bleeder.

Motto: If it aen't BROKE then DON'T fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

The front diff and the VC are 2 separate units. Pulling the drain plug on the front diff only drains the front gear box. The VC is sealed and uses a very precise amount of silicone based oil and is not intended to be serviced. I went back to the Porsche service manual and it makes no mention of anything other than the standard drain and fill for the gear box. Based on my experience, I would say your vent may be plugged as you suspect. Clear the vent, service the diff and and then monitor for any leaks after throughly cleaning while you have it open.

R/Tom