Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tires for GT3RS

QMQ668

Hi am new to the forum.

I need advice, have a GT3RS out in the tropics, love the car but with the erratic weather out here, I have on a few occasions been caught in a thunder storm, at which point the rear tires are rendered useless, was wondering if there was an alternative, keeping the same rims. Ideally a lesser dry tyre with good not great wet handling, as car will only be pushed in the dry.

Thanks

Hi am new to the forum.

I need advice, have a GT3RS out in the tropics, love the car but with the erratic weather out here, I have on a few occasions been caught in a thunder storm, at which point the rear tires are rendered useless, was wondering if there was an alternative, keeping the same rims. Ideally a lesser dry tyre with good not great wet handling, as car will only be pushed in the dry.

Thanks

I don't know if there is an N-spec (OEM-approved) tire with the specific size you need for your car, but I always recommend Bridgestone Potenzas as a good compromise between tire wear, wet grip, and dry grip. If you plan on fitting any tires it's best to match the front and rear sets to avoid unwanted handling issues; tires this size are very sensitive and represent the few square feet of grip keeping your very expensive (and beautiful!) car out of the weeds.

Since the RS is a unique beast I'd talk to the dealer, Tire Rack, or an indy who works on cars like yours on a regular basis. Wheel Enhancement may also be able to make a recommendation, they're very knowledgeable about Porsche wheels and in my dealings with them it seems tires are an extension of that knowledge. Whatever your decision, know that the RS suspension setup means that your car may still be a handful in the wet. Or, for the price of an extra set of wheels and tires you could buy a lightly used midsize sedan with all-seasons, which will carry you on those rainy days without complaint. :)

Welcome to the forum! Stick around, it's a great place to learn about your car.

Best of luck,

Mark

Edited by number9ine

I just had a look at the GT3 TSBs (which you can browse if you become a Contributing Member) and it looks like Pirelli and Michelin are the only two N-spec manufacturers for your OEM wheels.

There is a winter tire, the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II N1. Even though you don't see a winter, I'd assume that the wet grip of this tire is superior to what you have now. Let us know what you go with!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

The Pirelli Corsas Systems are indeed the best option for dry and wet handling. Anything non racing compound will pay-off during the occassional rain shower (when unless your name is Schumacher or Alonso it's anyway ill-advised to push the throttle too heavily in a GT3) but also curtail the typical pleasure of the GT3 in dry conditions. Also compared to the Michelin Sports Cup they offer precisely what you want more in the wet - deeper tread depth and more adapted tire profile.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I changed to Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 997.1 RS, and have driven in the rain on them. They felt just fine, with no indication of slipping around. I didn't push them, but I didn't tip-toe around either. Great tire, but being that it doesn't carry the N-spec, your Porsche dealer either won't mount them, or will require you to sign a liability waiver as mine did.