Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X50 Questions

dmarty

I'm new here and this is my first post. First let me say that I'm very impressed with the site. I'm looking to purchase an '02, '03 or '04 X50 turbo coupe and the information I've found so far has been invaluable. I still have a few questions though.

1. Can anyone provide a PDF copy of an '03 Turbo order and price guide? I have '02, '04 and '05 copies, but can't find an '03.

2. An independent dealer has told me that "there are no '04 X50 coupes, only cabs". I think that he's wrong as I've seen a few '04 X50 coupes on the market. Could it be that since total turbo production was divded between coupes and cabs, that fewer '04 X50 coupes were produced, but that at least some were produced?

3. The '02 order and price guide doesn't list the X50 option. Was this a mid-year option change? If not, why is it not listed?

4. Are there any significant differences between the '02, '03 and '04 X50's that would make one model year more desirable than another? This could be anything from option availabilty to known mechanical problems.

5. Does anyone have an X50 coupe for sale now or will have one for sale soon (off lease soon)?

Many thanks in advance.

I have an '03 X50 and remember that the X50 option came out as a special

news release mid 2002 that you could order on '02 builds as the X50 powerkit.

The '03 order guide included the X50 option. I have a friend with the '02 X50

and it is the same car as mine. Both are cars have been flawless.

The main difference is only between 02 and 03 and that realtes to the MOST Bose System. On 03 the PCM II was an otpion and 04+ it became standard. The 02 PMC was the smaller screen with 7+ discs and cassette.

I have an 03 X50 and it has been perfect with PCM II. I would probably recommend the PCM II X50 but they are pretty hard to find for 03 models. The PCM II is tied in to the car's computer system and Nav. It is far better than my Mercedes DVD based Nav system.

You can map your route and then take out the Nav CD and put a music CD and the Nav keeps working in memory. The turn arrows show up on your RPM gauge's LCD display. Pretty cool features.

I have an '03 X50 and remember that the X50 option came out as a special

news release mid 2002 that you could order on '02 builds as the X50 powerkit.

The '03 order guide included the X50 option.  I have a friend with the '02 X50

and it is the same car as mine.  Both are cars have been flawless.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Good to hear that you've experienced no problems.

The main difference is only between 02 and 03 and that realtes to the MOST Bose System. On 03 the PCM II was an otpion and 04+ it became standard. The 02 PMC was the smaller screen with 7+ discs and cassette.

I have an 03 X50 and it has been perfect with PCM II. I would probably recommend the PCM II X50 but they are pretty hard to find for 03 models. The PCM II is tied in to the car's computer system and Nav. It is far better than my Mercedes DVD based Nav system.

You can map your route and then take out the Nav CD and put a music CD and the Nav keeps working in memory. The turn arrows show up on your RPM gauge's LCD display. Pretty cool features.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the '03 X50's with PCM II are hard to find. I now know why all of the '04's seem to have it.

What exactly does Porsche do to the engine when they add the X50 option that can't be done after the car leaves the factory (in other words why can't it be added afterwards)?

Would chipping or flashing the ECU be just as effective as spending the extra cash fro the X50 option, especially if the 996TT I purchase does not have it?

The key is you get the factory warranty and a product that Porsche will stand behind. Alot of the people doing chips never even dyno the car, they just jack with the fuel curve and you drive at your own risk. There are some good companies like GIAC doing quality products that do the research. I think the X50 is a better platform to start with the GT2 turbos, intercoolers, strengthened gearbox and freer flowing exhaust. You can always chip it from there to get more.

At some point you ask yourself how much is enough... After just returning from Porsche Driving Experience with N/A Carrera 2's on a race track that is one hell of a fast car. I couldn't imagine what my turbo X50 would do.