Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trans. Problem Car Just Dumped Fluid

I just had a mechanic fix my car after the car dumped antifreeze all over the ground. I didn't drive the car after that issue until it was repaired. After getting the car back for 3 days I have been driving it around actively, without any problems. The mechanic did not install the "breather pipe" that runs from the back of the engine, and connects to the front. It goes on top of the engine, its a plastic T shaped hose. Today he came to install it. After installing it witch took about 15 minutes. We took the car for a test drive around the block. When we pulled back up and looked at another Issues I was possibly having, A knock at the front right of the car, We noticed about a cup or two worth of trans fluid that poured out of the back of the engine block. We both checked any other hoses in that area of the engine and my mechanic said it was probably a seal on the transmission that was leaking. I am in utter shock because I just purchased this car a week ago and have been having one big issue after another. I would appreciate any feedback at all, I need to get some sanity in because I've never experienced such problems with a car before. Thank you

So I take it this is not a dealer working on the car ?

Your cooling pipes went, normal

The T pipe on a TT should have been replaced at rthe same time (15 minutes job does not sound right to me)

Has the mechanic even seen a Cayenne before is my question ?

I just had a mechanic fix my car after the car dumped antifreeze all over the ground. I didn't drive the car after that issue until it was repaired. After getting the car back for 3 days I have been driving it around actively, without any problems. The mechanic did not install the "breather pipe" that runs from the back of the engine, and connects to the front. It goes on top of the engine, its a plastic T shaped hose. Today he came to install it. After installing it witch took about 15 minutes. We took the car for a test drive around the block. When we pulled back up and looked at another Issues I was possibly having, A knock at the front right of the car, We noticed about a cup or two worth of trans fluid that poured out of the back of the engine block. We both checked any other hoses in that area of the engine and my mechanic said it was probably a seal on the transmission that was leaking. I am in utter shock because I just purchased this car a week ago and have been having one big issue after another. I would appreciate any feedback at all, I need to get some sanity in because I've never experienced such problems with a car before. Thank you

I had the same problem with my 06 CS. My coolant pipes blew out in April. I replaced them with the upgraded metal pipes without a hitch. Straight forward job. A week later my transmission started leaking about the same amount of fluid as yours. Turned out the the torque converter pump seal wore out. It's a not too uncommon problem for our cars. What happens is that when the coolant pipes rupture, the coolant fluid drains out of the valley towards the back of the engine. This drain goes directly into the bell housing(funky design if you ask me) and the fluid gets all over the torque converter, flywheel and pump seal. The coolant fluid eventually drains out of the two holes under the bell housing. Apparently the coolant fluid attacks the seal, weakens it and causes it to fail. I have read on the other Cayenne forums that the coolant fluid dries up on the seal. When it does, the coolant additives form a kind of micro abrasive that tears up the seal.

I took my CS to the my indie mechanic. Cost me $1200 to replace the seal. While they were under there, they pointed out to me that my Cardan shaft was not looking very good. The rubber bearing isolator was starting to crack. They could not tell me if it was going to last a year or a week. I decided to replace it as a preemptive strike against future headaches.

Dont worry. You're not alone. Hang in there. These trucks are worth fixing. I was told that you are never a Porsche owner. You are a Porsche caretaker. biggrin.gif

OH yeah. Apparently, the TT has a T-connector for one of the coolant pipes behind the engine. This T-connector will eventually fail and spill coolant fluid outside the engine, not from under the intake manifold. Let me see if I can find the thread on that issue.

Here it is.

My link

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle

• 8 months later...

hello from Down Under!

Sorry for the newb first post, but I'm looking to replace the torque converter (radial shaft) seal in my 04 CTT at an independent mechanic workshop and am wondering if both the engine and tiptronic transmission have to come out for this job?

I've just had a look at the service manual section (37 35 19) about removing the transmission and it appears that the transmission can be removed independently of the engine. Are there any neat / quicker ways to remove the transmission housing to change the leaking trans seal?

Thanks in advance for any transmission hints.

Cheers (and yes, the coolant pipes have been replaced!)

Edited by ultra

There is a class action lawsuit against Porsche North America because of these coolant pipes. It can be checked out at the www.CayenneClassAction.com I think. Its only active in 3 states right now but the more the word gets out the more they won't be able to hide from this. These coolant pipes should have been a recal so spread the word to all Cayenne owners!

There is a class action lawsuit against Porsche North America because of these coolant pipes. It can be checked out at the www.CayenneClassAction.com I think. Its only active in 3 states right now but the more the word gets out the more they won't be able to hide from this. These coolant pipes should have been a recal so spread the word to all Cayenne owners!

Somehow, call me goofy - I don't think the class action lawsuit will do him a lot of good in Australia..

^ Australia is the 53rd state so maybe I could join the class action? :lol:

Answering my own question: from what I have figured out so far, removing the torque converter bolts to drop the transmission without removing the trans + engine requires Porsche "special tool" 96870 and special bit 96880 to get the necessary leverage in the confined space around the Tiptronic.

I think this may have been referred to in pakimunda101's thread here: and was described as a half moon ratcheting wrench on another forum.

I could drop the transmission and engine together to better access the torque converter bolts, but I think this would be overkill just to replace the $16 radial shaft seal. I'm not replacing the primary cats, diverter valves, intercooler or turbos at this stage, so an engine out job expands the scope of work exponentially imho.

Off to the local Porsche dealership to have it done then... :(