Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Swap for CGT key

I just participated in a group buy on Rennlist for the new Carrera GT key from Brandywine. Following several recommendations I am trying to swap the components from my '04 C4S key into the new CGT key. Unfortunately I am at a loss concerning the metal "key" part: there seems to be no way to remove it from my old key without breaking it.

I am trying to avoid the time and cost of going all the way to my dealer to have the new key reprogrammed. Apparently this method has worked for many others--is there a difference in MY'04 keys?

I know that I am also supposed to move the small capsule containing signals for the steering wheel lock.

To make matters worse, I now cannot snap my original key shut all the way, even though I replaced all components perfectly!

I just participated in a group buy on Rennlist for the new Carrera GT key from Brandywine. Following several recommendations I am trying to swap the components from my '04 C4S key into the new CGT key. Unfortunately I am at a loss concerning the metal "key" part: there seems to be no way to remove it from my old key without breaking it.

I am trying to avoid the time and cost of going all the way to my dealer to have the new key reprogrammed.  Apparently this method has worked for many others--is there a difference in MY'04 keys?

I know that I am also supposed to move the small capsule containing signals for the steering wheel lock.

To make matters worse, I now cannot snap my original key shut all the way, even though I replaced all components perfectly!

There is a small catch which clips into a notch on the metal key. You need to pull that back and then the key just pulls out. Just persevere with it - it is terribly easy really when you work out how the key is held in.

And the old key definitely goes back together. Sounds like you might be rushing it a bit :) . Check the PCB module is correctly oriented to sit flat.

Edited by jasonc

I replaced entire MY99 original tx with the CGT remote.......dealer programming cost $50 (minus 10% for PCA members) at Pioneer Porsche, San Diego CA. Took about 45 minutes. I would reco this route.

I can now actuate the locks about 20 feet away, I was never able to do that with the old remote....even with new batteries.

regards

jorge

I was told the same thing for the MY00 boxster - the car receiver cpu can be programmed to only two remote keys. The ignition can be programmed to more keys.

Dealer mechanic (Anderson-Behel) gave up on programming an extra key - I now have an extra key (with remote head) that starts the car, but does not unlock the doors remotely, essentially a second valet key.

If you get the GCT remote key head you can get it programmed, but one of your current keys will stop working.

But newer model years may have this restriction lifted, I don't know about those. They also have three buttons (one for the front hood latch).

I'd check with Suncoast - they sell this key on their website: CGT key head at Suncoast

CGTREMOTE.jpg

It doesn't make any sense since the electronics are identical. Perhaps a newer battery makes a difference. My transfer to the CGT case used my spare key, so I attribute the slightly improved range to the fact that my original key was operating with a somewhat weaker battery.

same identical internals??? In that case i'll just do it myself and save the trip to the dealer for programming.. :)

It doesn't make any sense since the electronics are identical. Perhaps a newer battery makes a difference. My transfer to the CGT case used my spare key, so I attribute the slightly improved range to the fact that my original key was operating with a somewhat weaker battery.