Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reverse Camera Gone Dark, Then Back Again

I bought a 2006 Cayenne Turbo with 70k miles in August, and everything has been good so far. Just a minor annoyance but potentially expensive to put right - my reverse camera image went black about a week ago. The monitor would flash for a split second when I went into reverse, as though it was coming on normally, but then the screen would go black. The red lettering warning that the driver should still visually verify what's behind still came up, but against a totally black background.

I was planning to remove the inside panel of the rear hatch this weekend to see if any wires had come loose, but this morning when I backed out, it suddenly worked again. And I tested it by reversing a few more times, and it appears to be fine.

Now, I usually drive the car, but my wife drove it last weekend, and that may be when it went dark. And she drove it again last night, and now it's working. So, I'm wondering whether there is an on/off setting that she may have inadvertantly hit when she drove. I've tried all of the obvious on off settings on the PCM over the past week, with no effect. The only thing that she changes when she drives, that I'm aware of, is the seat and mirror positions. Anyway, I'm glad that the camera is working again, but am wondering if it is obvious to any of you what would have turned it off and back on again. There does not seem to be anything in the owner's manual or PCM manual that I have not tried, but maybe I overlooked something. She used my key last night, but I'm not sure which one she used last week. So, I don't think it was anything programmed into her key.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that the camera is functional. Dealer wants $900+ and an exchange for a replacement - for a camera that is probably no better than a $30 PC camera. But I would like to know if there is something that will shut the camera off, while the PCM appears to still think it is there.

if you can hear (or your helper can see) that camera is extended and there is nothing on screen then you should start hunting for loose wire (no need to replace camera)

Yes, I forgot to mention that the camera extends in all cases. So I don't think it is an intermittent connection, but I'll know more after a few days. Right now, all I know was that it worked reliably for about four months. Then reliably went dark (still extended) for a solid week, and now it's back.

• 3 months later...

I'm having almost the exact same problem on a my '06 Cayenne Turbo although in my case it extends and comes up black with the Red warning letters, no flashing or anything else. Just like the picture is not there. I've shined a flashlight in the camera lens when it's extended but no change in the picture.

Edited by hahnmgh63

• 1 month later...

I determined the cause. The optical connector to the camera was not making a good connection. I took it apart and cleaned it the best I could, and snapped it back together, and it has been trouble free ever since.

To get to the connector just pry off the exterior panel right below the rear window. Before that I had completely disassembled the rear liftgate from the inside, and discovered that I could not access the camera from the inside - just so you know.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem (intermittent, then no video) on 06 CayenneTT, however one of the conductors inside the cable connecting the camera was broken at the flex loop

just outside the camera. Ended up making a new cable with 28AWG Tefzel wire and terminating it to the molex connector inside the camera's PCB.

The other end of the cable is an SMB FAKRA which can be bought at Digikey. The power wires have to be broken out and spliced to the actuator

power as well. Works perfect