Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

buying a Carrera 997 S

Hi,

I have a 2006 997 that I'm planning on replacing with a 2006 or 2007 Carrera S with Chromo Pckg. Is there anything that I should be in the look out for?

Also, I know that the 997 has issues with the battery loom cable and other minor things...is there anything specific with the added technology (chromo pckg) that will cause me additional problems? And is there any big differences between the 06 or 07?

Also, as for extended warranty...should I have the money in the bank for future work instead of paying for a warranty upfront and not knowing if the issue will come or not?

Thank you very much for any info that you can give me!!!

Leonardo

No difference between the 06 and 07. The sports chrono will not present any problems. Make sure to finds a car with the Sport exhaust. You'll be very happy you did. I'm a firm believer in warranties. Try to find a Porsche CPO car. Make sure that it is the FULL CPO warranty. (there are two kinds.) I had an 06 Carrera S and LOVED it. Never had one issue with it..

Good luck!

I recently bought a 2007 Carrera 4 with Sport Chrono with 10K miles The stopwatch on the dash died and I had to have it replaced. It was 4 different part numbers that had to be replaced. Thankfully, this was done under warranty.

The only other issue I have had was a rough idle. I checked the coils and plugs and they were okay. I cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner and elbow grease, as well as replaced the air filter and cleaned the airbox. The idle improved significantly. It is still not as smooth as my '08 Cayman, but I hear that the 997s run a little rougher for some reason.

• 8 months later...

Just got 2006 997S. Night and day difference to my 99 996. Almost seems like a different brand of car. I got the aftermarket service from Porsche dealer, (Rocklin, CA). Third car from them, they are great. Got the cp but no PSE. Looking to add it as we speak. good luck! I have had 12 Porsche's, this is by far the very best.

Wow 12 and 4 Porsches, very lucky mates! I'm still on my first!

@leocanto I'd definitely go for the C2S, there is very little difference in the 06 - 08 version's, you can practically call an 08 an 06 + 36 months! I got a 3 year 60,000km extended warranty plan for my 05 C2S, with a $150 deductible for repairs of the engine/cars value. This just gives me the frame of mind to sleep well at night, after hearing some horror stories with engine replacements and such. Though my Porsche tech tells me these engines are built like bullets, they can handle a lot! It's been an exhilarating drive for me so far and an experience I wouldn't change for the world! Good luck with your decision :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

Finally, we just bought an 06 C2S, its a Red/Black 24,000 mile CPO Cab/Tip.

I have been a PCA member since 1980...81?

First was a 1980 triple black targa..long story I was looking at a 77 Ferrari 308GT4 that got sold, I was really disappointed but they gave me the keys to this Targa and I took it out...about 3 hours later I came back with a big grin and bought it.

Among the others were...a 74 WhiteTarga, a 77 Kremer Targa (3.2 in a narrow body), a Red 79 coupe (bought in DE and imported, got lightly rear ended and wound up as a Turbo look, an Silver 80 coupe bought in DE land, a 79 Red Targa, a 356 Cabrio (64?) a S/Y 2000 base Boxster, a Black 2002 Boxster S, even a Speedster (replica)

So far the only thing I miss are the AIR COOLED engine sounds...however the a/c, heating, smooth running, etc, etc, have overcome the sound and it's only the second week!

I find that the 19" tire/wheel setup is very harsh, and what I'm wondering is, for me, would 18's improve this...I remember liking the 15's over the 16's back in the 80's for ride quality.

Also, all the new cars are no longer "user friendly" (not just Porsche) you MUST RTFM, even to figure outr how to use the audio!!

It took 15 minutes....with a Porsche service tech on the phone to program the GARAGE DOOR OPENER, the manual instructions were useless

.......more later as we get accustomed to the NEW (to us) car.

tnx Daniel

Edited by dak911

Congratulations Daniel!!

I would have to agree with you, the PCM wasn't easy to figure out just by staring at it. I had to play with it, read the manual extensively to figure out all the cars controls, options and features! The garage door opener was a nightmare to program since my 05 C2S came with every other manual but the car one lol I found one online and that made programming the garage door easier.

The 997 so far is quite a joy to drive, I've never felt so much power and throttle behind the wheel in my life before. Have fun enjoying your car, try not to get into too much trouble :)

Finally, we just bought an 06 C2S, its a Red/Black 24,000 mile CPO Cab/Tip.

I have been a PCA member since 1980...81?

First was a 1980 triple black targa..long story I was looking at a 77 Ferrari 308GT4 that got sold, I was really disappointed but they gave me the keys to this Targa and I took it out...about 3 hours later I came back with a big grin and bought it.

Among the others were...a 74 WhiteTarga, a 77 Kremer Targa (3.2 in a narrow body), a Red 79 coupe (bought in DE and imported, got lightly rear ended and wound up as a Turbo look, an Silver 80 coupe bought in DE land, a 79 Red Targa, a 356 Cabrio (64?) a S/Y 2000 base Boxster, a Black 2002 Boxster S, even a Speedster (replica)

So far the only thing I miss are the AIR COOLED engine sounds...however the a/c, heating, smooth running, etc, etc, have overcome the sound and it's only the second week!

I find that the 19" tire/wheel setup is very harsh, and what I'm wondering is, for me, would 18's improve this...I remember liking the 15's over the 16's back in the 80's for ride quality.

Also, all the new cars are no longer "user friendly" (not just Porsche) you MUST RTFM, even to figure outr how to use the audio!!

It took 15 minutes....with a Porsche service tech on the phone to program the GARAGE DOOR OPENER, the manual instructions were useless

.......more later as we get accustomed to the NEW (to us) car.

tnx Daniel

Wow Daniel!

So many Porsches! :notworthy: Enjoy the 997. I had one and loved it..