Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What 2 do after 4 years of storage

luxter

Gents,

Friend of mine inherited a 1975 Anniversary Edition silver 911. It has been stored in his garage for last four years of so without seeing daylight. I can only imagine that tires got flat spots, gas in tank must look like sauerkraut and oil to match it in its reservoir. He claims that there is a leak of some sort (I didn’t get to see the car yet) on the driver side of the car, possibly power steering, judging by his description and color.

What would you recommend to do before bringing this silver beauty back to life. I imagine oil change would be in order followed by fuel tank flush, brakes flush.

All constructive suggestions are welcome. Any similar past experience anyone?

Many thanks in advance,

Luxter

Hi Jon,

The good thing is that his nighbour has a four post car lift in his garage, so any under the car work could be a lot easier.

I wass thinking:

Drain fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel,

Drain oil + new oil filter and oil

Obviously check for that leak, but bring the car back to life first so we could drive it to a decent shop in case things aren't rosy.

Any thoughts?

Those were some suggestions that other members posted to me when I asked. If you read my posts surely you will find the one that has all the suggestions.

Other items were brakes, suspension, battery, any fluids as well. My brother will be helping me since he has experience and education in this field. But timing hasn't worked out for him to come by and winter is pretty bad even here in Vancouver. It's been cold to work in the garage and of course life priorities get in the way especially being married and having a new home!

I have heard that cranking the engine over without starting to get oil in piston, valves and other key areas. I've also heard of pushing a car in reverse but only after garaged over the winter. Four years may require additional considerations.

Edited by kbrandsma

Before starting (assuming you have not) put car in 4th gear and move it gently fore and aft. If fan belt is turning the pistons and crank are not frozen. I'd quirt some oil or maybe even WD-40 into each cylinder to provide initial start up lube for the rings. I'd replace the belt right afterward.

Brakes might also be frozen, so roll and check to see they release from the rotor. They should also be flushed with fresh fluid and bled to remove any air in the system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

i am currently working on a friends 88 and i have same issues - 4 year old fuel, oil etc. dead battery.

i own a shop and am a technican as well. so here is the rundown. disable fuel pump - pull fuse or relay, crank over several times 30 second intervals. next enable fuel pump, crank until starting. start car let run about a minute, shut it off for a few hours let oil soak into critical areas. now drail fuel, as much as possible!. change fuel filter and refill fuel. re-start hopefully any bad gas will pass injectors. now it is hopefully not stuck rings or anything of that nature, also keep eye on engine temp. enjoy.....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Remove the fuel tank sending unit ,use a bore scope or a inspection mirrior & flash light to check the upper half of the tank for rust. This is the biggest problem I see bringing the hanger queens back to live. The tank has to come out most of the time & be cleaned & sealed & many cases opened up,blasted & welded back together. There are reproduction fuel tanks available now for a reasonable price now,so if they are badly rusted,just replace it.

Howard

• 1 month later...

Great advice from everyone.

Howard is 100% correct. Taking the tank out is not that daunting a task. At a minimum if it's not rusted it will need a vigorous flush.

You WILL also need to change the fuel filter. Don't even think about cutting that corner.

Good luck!