Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Custom exhaust - on the cheap!

Thought I'd share my custom exhaust project that I did a while ago.

I was frustrated by not being able to find a decent catback for less than $800-$1000 so I decided to improvise on a cheap $300 one to make it suit my taste. Ended up spending $450 and ended up with a nice sounding exhaust!

Fully story:

Link

I really like the sound. I don't bother listening to the radio much anymore, I find myself just listening to the exhaust note. Above 4000 RPM it just sings! I did shoot some crude video clips of the sound, but in the clips it just sounds like an amplified version of the noise you hear through the intake, which is pretty much what it sounds like at WOT.

It is droney at <3000 RPM however. With the top down it's not a big deal, but it can get annoying with the top up, so I'm considering picking up a pair of CC inserts to quiet it down. The car is a weekend car, I don't take it out much on anything other than sunny, top-down days anyway though :)

It looks pretty good too, much better than the recessed, rusty, stock exhaust. Only gripe is that the mufflers don't line up perfectly straight, they're a teeny bit crooked - but it's not something you can notice without squatting to look under the car and looking for it (I think I'm just obsessive :) )

All in all, I can't complain for spending half the money I would have on a nicer exhaust.

Enjoy :)

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Edited by Dr.Strangepork

I'm positive the CC inserts would knock out the drone, I'm just concerned as to whether they'd make it too quiet...right now the loudness is spot on! It's loud enough to sound great but not be obnoxious.

And the aftermarket muffler is about 20lbs lighter than the stock one, not bad for one mod.

Here's a little comparo...excuse the messed up rear window (pic's from when I first got it). Stock:

0404101841-1.jpg

Modded. You can see the slightly misaligned mufflers, though it looks much worse in this pic due to the reflections. However you can also see how the bracket I made allows one to get the tips exactly in the right spot :)

inthegarage.jpg

Edited by Dr.Strangepork

• 1 month later...

Update!

CC inserts came in today.

Kinda wondering where I can install them...they're 7" long. I'm thinking either right after the cats or right on the inlet of the muffler, whichever fits better. Not sure I'm gonna have room right after the cats or before the muffler so it might have to go partially inside the muffler. Very interested to see how this affects the sound.