Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cardan Shaft - '03 C4S

The rubber "Guibo" on my cardan shaft is cracked. It's recommended to replace. However, you can't just replace that one part. It requires a whole new shaft. Does anyone know if the "Guibo" off of a Cayenne will work. It seems Porsche sells that part separately for the Cayanne, but not the Carrera. Below is a link which provides a visual of the rubber "Guibo". They look identical. But the measurements may be different. I've tried calling a few dealerships and they haven't been able to confirm weather it will work or not. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.vertexaut...sc%20Guibo.aspx

Edited by hasteyrb

• Moderators

As far as i know Porsche makes such parts not separately, not for C4 and not for Cayenne. The link in your post is a third party, if you cant find that part on the third party market, a visit to a dismantler can help you out IMHO.

As far as i know Porsche makes such parts not separately, not for C4 and not for Cayenne. The link in your post is a third party, if you cant find that part on the third party market, a visit to a dismantler can help you out IMHO.

Thank you, RFM. I appreciate your input.

Hasteyrb,

I just went through this on my 02 C4S. Ended up buying the entire shaft as I could not find a replacement flex coupling by itself. Quite a bit irritating as it is obvious the part is a wear item. Intersting though, the Porsche, Mercedes and BMW parts all look the same. I would bet they are and come from the same supplier. But I would hate to waste 118.00 to find out I was wrong...

R/Tom

Edited by goldenwarrior1

Road session, not sure who your search was directed to but your search result was my old post! OP asked if the Guibo from a cayene would fit and I can find no reference to that on this site so a search would have turned up nothing....

ahh you're right :)

Road session, not sure who your search was directed to but your search result was my old post! OP asked if the Guibo from a cayene would fit and I can find no reference to that on this site so a search would have turned up nothing....

ahh you're right :)

Guys, it's all good. I appreciate your feedback. :cheers:

I made a similar post on rennlist. There, I learned that you can use a guibo from a 84 BMW 318 automatic. The part is very slightly different but works perfectly and costs less then $50. Here's the website I ordered it from. $38. I ordered a new cardan shaft today (before learning this). So if this guibo works, I'll be returning the new cardan shaft. I'll keep you guys posted.

http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts/Drive-Shaft-Guibo-Flex-Disk-E30-84-85-318I-M10--87-92-325-IISIC--91-92-318-IISIC-M42__26111225624-OEM-ID-E2E2217.aspx

Let us know if this works, to date I know of no one who has been able to find a part that fits. I pulled mine off the old shaft last night and compared it to the pictures on the BMW parts and the ones I looked at did not have the metal flange protruding on either side of the coupling that mates with the driveshaft and tail yoke on the tranny. $50 would have been a heck of a lot better that $450.00!

• 4 weeks later...

I attempted to install the aftermarket guibo on my cardan shaft, instead of having to replace the whole shaft. Unfortunately, the guibo wasn't compatible (at least to my liking). See pics below. Basically the aftermarket guibo I ordered looked identical to the OEM guibo....same shape, circumference, holes lined up, etc. However, upon closer examination, the aftermarket guibo was a bit thicker. More importantly, the metal locator sleeves inside the guibo were flush with the guibo itself. On the OEM guibo, the metal sleeves stick out farther than the guibo itself. They act as locators when fitting to the shaft, as well as holding it in place. The cardan shaft actually has 3 counter sunk holes for these locators. Therefore, I felt uncomfortable trying to use the aftermarket guibo, and opted to replace the entire shaft. See pics below. They are pretty much self explanatory. I do appreciate all of the help and advice from fellow members. I just felt using the aftermarket guibo may have been unsafe, and led to greater issues.

In the pics, the OEM guibo is on the right. The aftermarket guibo is on the left.

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05493.jpg

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05491.jpg

• Upvote 1