Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cardan Shaft Rubber bushing

2002 C4S. Dropped transmission to replace AOS and Clutch. When disconnecting the cardan shaft from the transmission I found the rubber coupling to be cracked in a number of places. When I call the Porsche dealer they could not locate a P/N for just the rubber coupling. I am told it comes as a part of the entire shaft assy at a price of approx $450.00 When I look at the PET parts listing I can find no break down of the part either. The rubber coupling simply bolts to each part with 3 bolts each direction.... No reason I can fathom as to why the part is not listed separately as a wear item. Was hoping someone on here has been down this path before. Search revealed no clues...

Thanks, Tom

post-44649-0-61219900-1297466116_thumb.j

Ouch! Thanks, looks like I have no other alternatives!

I have a 02 C4S as well and was wondering how many miles on your car ?? I will have to check the shaft on my car once I am under it again for an oil change. Were there any symptoms of the shaft being bad in your case before you visually saw the deteriration of the coupling??

TIA demosan

I replaced mine at 42k miles. There were no driving issues noted at the time, but the cracked bushing was noted when doing the RMS and clutch so I replaced it as a preventive measure.

tanny02996,

Thanks for the response on your milage re: your coupling replacement. I just turned 40K so I'll definitely check it out at next oil change.

Demosan

Ouch! Thanks, looks like I have no other alternatives!

I have a 02 C4S as well and was wondering how many miles on your car ?? I will have to check the shaft on my car once I am under it again for an oil change. Were there any symptoms of the shaft being bad in your case before you visually saw the deteriration of the coupling??

TIA demosan

I have 95K on the car. I had no indications but noticed it when I dropped the trans to replace the AOS and Clutch. Primary reason was the AOS going bad and decided to replace the clutch while I had everything out. Coupling was cracked in several places, one area had a crack on both sides that almost came together in the middle. Ordered the entire shaft as I can find no other options. I think the entire shaft is considered a consumable item as the U-joint on the opposite end is staked in vs help in with a C-clip.

R/Tom

• 1 year later...

My 997 4S Tiptronic 2006 rubber coupling developed minor cracks at 28000 miles. Have a VF Supercharger fitted and drive quite hard and fast. Will monitor and check propogation. Do not think it could be catastrophic at this stage. Ridiculous to buy assembly instead of just coupling rubber.

• FVD Online Shop - - FVD,Porsche
    www.fvd.de/.../Porsche.../997-17...4.../MoreNewestOnlineItems....ht...
    You +1'd this publicly. UndoArticulated piece cardan shaft 996 C4/4S/TT 99-05, 997-1 C4/4S 05-08, 997TT 07-,99642101000, 996 421 010 00. 57 €. Add to cart. You need not to buy the complete cardan shaft anymore. From now we offer also only the hardy disc for this ...

http://www.koperform...-Flex-Disc.html

2002 Porsche Carrera, C/4 (996) >> Drive Shafts, Axles, Differentials > Driveshaft Flex Disc

Make & Model Search...

Below are the results for: Porsche >> 2002 >> Carrera, C/4 (996) >> Drive Shafts, Axles, Differentials >> Driveshaft Flex Disc

Select your Make:

...Porsche

Select your Year:

Select your Model:

...911 Turbo (996 Turbo)BoxsterBoxster SCarrera, C/4 (996)

Select Part Group:

... Drive Shafts, Axles,

Select Part Category:

Driveshaft Flex DiscFlex Disc -

Part Search Results...

Part number: 10 2539 005 options include...

Item # < 1 > Qty Part #: 102539005-57 KO Price: $84.06 Shipping: $0.00 - FREE Shipping! - & *Ship Group Stock Status: In Stock - Ready to Ship!

part_1889e31hmj1yhvykgz3413b.jpg

Edited by fpb111

• 8 months later...

2002 C4S. Dropped transmission to replace AOS and Clutch. When disconnecting the cardan shaft from the transmission I found the rubber coupling to be cracked in a number of places. When I call the Porsche dealer they could not locate a P/N for just the rubber coupling. I am told it comes as a part of the entire shaft assy at a price of approx $450.00 When I look at the PET parts listing I can find no break down of the part either. The rubber coupling simply bolts to each part with 3 bolts each direction.... No reason I can fathom as to why the part is not listed separately as a wear item. Was hoping someone on here has been down this path before. Search revealed no clues...Thanks, Tom

Thanks for the reply and the link GoldenWarrior! I am still trying to figure out if the Guibo is the problem. How do access the Guibo to inspect it? In your opinion, am I on the right track?