Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reuse of clamps for 3rd radiator install

I accidentally re-used the clamps for the radiator hoses instead of using the threaded hose clamps. Is this OK? I haven't finished the job yet but the radiators are already bolted back on and I'd rather not go back in there. The initial leak test showed no leaks.

Thanks.

• Admin

Porsche recommends that whenever a spring type clamp is removed (anywhere on the car) to replace it with the screw type hose clamp. If it is not leaking then you are likely okay (for now). If you do develop leaks then you will want to use the screw type hose clamps to fix the leak.

Thanks...I'm leaving them for now.

One more question....in another post you say the third radiator should have a slight angle up. Do you have a better view of the orientation of the two mounting bracket halves? For me, the passenger side top grommet is popping out of the hole because the hose barely reaches the radiator. Maybe I have the top bracket backwards?

Thanks again.

Jake

I had the top bracket backwards. It was forcing the radiator to be vertical. Once I flipped it around, I got the tilt on the radiator and everything went back together OK.

One more question....what exactly does the bleeder valve do?

Thanks.

It bleeds air out of the system without letting the coolant out. Cup cars actaully run with this open all the time.

Why wouldn't we run it open all the time? Can anything bad happen? I had it open today when I drove it. BTW.....my water temp was much better. The highest it got was in the middle of the '0' in '180'. It used to go over the 3/4 mark. I tested it on a long, curvy uphill at about 100 degrees outside temp (with my A/C on).

The last time I had mine serviced they left the bleeder open, I didn't notice for weeks including a few track days.:).

Had mine at the DE this weekend, ambient temps around 100F, the car temp never went past the "0", usually between the "8" and "0". Typically the car would run a notch past this. So I think the radiator helped the car cool 10-15 degrees. Overall, I give this upgrade a 7.5/10.

The last time I had mine serviced they left the bleeder open, I didn't notice for weeks including a few track days.:).

Had mine at the DE this weekend, ambient temps around 100F, the car temp never went past the "0", usually between the "8" and "0". Typically the car would run a notch past this. So I think the radiator helped the car cool 10-15 degrees. Overall, I give this upgrade a 7.5/10.

I guess mine was hitting the middle of the 'zero' in 180 because I had the A/C on. Hopefully I'll be OK when I drive through Death Valley this week. B)