Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flywheel Part Number

Skip

I believe I may have bought the incorrect flywheel for my 1984 ROW 911. I came to the realization that its not the original engine, after having bought a 1984 flywheel. The engine number is 64G01144 which I decipher to be a 1986 930.21 engine has per another post. The problem I have is that it appears 1984-86 engines have the same fly wheel (930-103-233-01) which is what I bought, but the teeth look different and not as deep, so starter won't engage. Reading all the numbers that I can off the back of the old flywheel, I believe they are as follows:

Part number: 930 102 233 0R - which I can't find anywhere, but it looks more like a flywheel on Pelican that ends in a 03 (87-89 version)

Other numbers:

CH PO2 3 (corrected numbers on flywheel)

TYP: 6T13.5 3082087031 Made by Sachs - that's OEM I believe

GMFZ225 (corrected numbers based on Sachs website)

I want to get the car back on the road but now have to order another part, and now I guess I have to drop the engine again, any help in identifying this flywheel would be appreciated. Our local dealership says the part number is wrong, but that's what I can read.

Thanks

Skip

Edited by Skip

Some further research through ZF Sachs in Germany has yielded the following cross reference data. The flywheel number 3082 087 031 is in fact a Sachs Part Number associated with the 930.21 engine between 10.84 --> 08.86 and identifies the following clutches/pressure plates as cross reference:

It also identifies the diameter of the flywheel as 225 mm with 20 teeth (although I expect the number of teeth is based on a particular distance as there are more than 20 teeth on the flywheel.

What I'm still trying to figure out is the proper Porsche associated part number. It could be (only other type I see) 930-103-233-03, but want to confirm before I spend another $500.

Thanks

Thanks Loren - should have checked for a reply first before updating. The old flywheel doesn't look anything like the 930-103-233-01, but rather the 03 version. Am enclosing a picture of the old one (both sides) which to me makes little sense overall. The starter which worked with the old one, will not engage the new one at all - have even swapped it out with the same problem of the bendix pushing forward, spinning, but not turning the engine over. Bench tested it as well and both old and new starter have the requisite kick and spin. Looking at the teeth they seem shallower than the old flywheel.

First two pictures are both sides of the old one, last picture is new one (transmission / clutch side). The front of the two are distinctly different. and the part number on the back of the old one, isn't the same.

post-49895-0-88734000-1300461215_thumb.j

post-49895-0-91893600-1300461275_thumb.j

post-49895-0-24099900-1300461290_thumb.j

Based on all the feedback I've been getting (including the fact that I should have the right flywheel - 84 or 86 is the same), could it be an issue of alignment somehow? Either transmission to engine (4 bolts) or starter to transmission (2 bolts)? Not sure how I can check this myself without some fancy alignment tool of some sort.

Thanks Loren, Am researching the old flywheel numbers I have found and have to clean up the rusted numbers to be able to read them right. I'll post what I find. My alignment question was aimed at whether I could have a misaligned transmission to engine which could have the knock on effect to the starter as it's mounted to the bell housing. I'll post again with what I find. Thanks.

Well after all the efforts, rechecking all the numbers, the new and old flywheel have the same 930-103-233-0R on the back, although they are delivered under a 930.103-033-01 from the dealer - very odd I think, but. In the end the problem stemmed from failing to reapply the ring gear to the pressure plate (simple as that). Completely missed it obviously when reinstalling the new clutch. I had thought that the starter engaged the flywheel but guess that's only for the sensors at the back. Problem solved, and engine started instantly. Lesson learned about deliberate and slow process - don't let adrenalin and being anxious to turn that key again deter you.

Thanks for the assistance. Engine came out and went back in a lot faster the second time around...

Skip