Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AutoEnginuity anyone

Just curious - if anyone is using AutoEnginuity's tool with the Porsche extensions? And if so - how does it compare to the DuraMetric?

I use one with BMW extensions on my BMWs and have found it to be a valuable tool.. and Jay Horak (the author of it) is fairly accessable..

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-software.html#EI13

• Moderators

Let's see; $250 for the tool, then $1300 for the Porsche specific add on; vs. $287 for the Durametric "Enthusiast" or $735 for the "Pro" version. Kind of seems obvious.......

Edited by JFP in PA

Let's see; $250 for the tool, then $1300 for the Porsche specific add on; vs. $287 for the Durametric "Enthusiast" or $735 for the "Pro" version. Kind of seems obvious.......

JFP - help me out here. I'm confused. On http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html - i'ts $250 for the OBD-II level base tool, and then:

Enhanced Porsche Expansion

#EI13 - Access Porsche-specific systems not covered by the OBD-II specification.

Requires ST06 ProLine Interface.

$229.95

The Cayenne systems covered seems quite extensive - and a bit more depth then Durametic offers (at least what my Durametric with version 6.xx beta software offers.)

The total is less then $480 - for unlimited use - no 3 VIN restriction. To me that seems quite competitive with Durametric Pro at $735 - but perhaps you found a different price somewhere else?

Perhaps you misread? Or? Dunno what's "obvious", except your posting wasn't entirely accurate.

Since I already own the Durametic and have found it not exactly enlightening nor the beta 6.xx software bug-free, and I also own the AE interface that I've used with my BMWs for years - this was an HONEST inquiry if anyone had USED the AE tool on a Cayenne - telling me if it's worth spending the $230 to add the Porsche capabilities to my AE tool.

• Moderators

It was "obvious" to me because I was looking at their "Pro Line" system which bundles a lot but costs more as well; so yes, you can get it at the price you outlined. That said, the last time we evaluated the Pro Line for the shop, the Durametric Pro system still had several advantages as their system could not test activate several systems, including the VarioCam solenoids (a common test), the fuel pumps, the ABS/PSM pump, plus several others. It also seemed to have difficulty with clearing some of Porsche's "restricted" code areas. I don't know if they ever corrected that, but the Durametric Pro system handles all of them, and regularly adds more. I know some find the Durametric confusing, but when you use it everyday, more and more becomes obvious. We would have added a PIWIS unit and gotten just about everything, but Porsche has priced that outside the realm of reality........

Edited by JFP in PA

JFP - thanks. That's the sort of info I was looking for... I talked to Jay Horak, and I would have to update the interface I have to their newest to use the Porsche tests, so that adds more to the cost besides the Porsche module.. The problem I have with the Durametic is it is iffy on the Cayanne - 6.0-beta has some problems apparently communicating with some of the modules, and giving me real time values. I didn't see an option in DuraMetric to activate the fuel pumps, that would be of interest to me.

I played with it some more tonight with lots turned off on the Netbook.. and version 5 can talk to all the modules except the wiper module (which may not talk..) Version 6.xx beta is very buggy on talking to the modules. When I first tried it - it was able to talk to many of the modules, but once I asked it to talk to the airbag module - it hung up, gave a divide by zero error and then wouldn't talk to much of anything. I went back to 5 - and it could still talk to everything but the wiper module.

One thing I spotted looking at real-time values in version 6 - the camshaft advance - I'm assuming is only on the intake?

There appear to be readouts for expected advance (setpoint angle?), then two readouts of actual angle. The two readouts of actual angle seem to track well, but they do not match what I think was the expected advance (setpoint angle.) On BMWs this usually indicates a "Vanos Error" where the advance mechanism isn't tracking correctly for some reason. Since the documentation on what's happening and what's being measured is a bit lacking - wonder if you have any insight on this? I captured the data on an Excel file, so have to go and look at it..

Found it..

What I was looking at was:

(1)

Camshaft, actual angle, bank 1

Camshaft, actual angle, bank 2

(2)

Actual angle for inlet camshaft, bank 1

Actual angle for inlet camshaft, bank 2

(3)

Setpoint angle for inlet camshaft, bank 1

Setpoint angle for inlet camshaft, bank 2

At idle - #1 and #2 read out around 0 (-1, -0.5) and #3 a pretty constant 15.5

Reving the engine - #1 and #2 read out around 2 to 50, and #3 drops then returns to around 15.5

Is there anyplace to find out what these readings actually mean?

• Moderators

What you are seeing it the cam's deviation from its ideal position (this is normal, caused by mechanical tolerances, slop in the chains, VarioCam, etc.). Usually at this point, the owner/operator instantly panics and starts call everyone because they think the values they see ( something like your -1 and -0.5 ) means their engine has jumped time, when it is completely normal deviation from ideal values. The cam movement with increasing and decreasing RPM is the action of the engine’s VarioCam, again completely normal. As long as the cam deviation values remain steady at an idle, everything is fine; if they start jumping back and forth, that is another issue entirely.

There was a posting in the archives of a Porsche article that explains in detail both VarioCam and VarioCam Plus systems and how they work. Might make good introductory reading…………