Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water Leak behind driver seat (Maurice and others input appreciated...

so i read so many threads trying to figure out the source of the leak. Took it to porsche mechanic who couldnt find the source and suggested to change the drain pan on left side (which involved removing the convertible top around 6 hours labor...). So now I've been stuck with putting a towel under the carpet behind the driver side to protect the alarm module box.

I included some pictures if anyone can suggest anything or solution to this problem. The drain pan (picture 1) looks intact, no holes anywere. Tested the drain (picture 2), with all water freely flowing in front of the rear left wheel. The arrow from the inside (picture 3) shows mainly where the water is getting in. My concern is could there be anywhere else, other that the drain pan/hole where water can get there?

one of the pictures is from outside (picture 4), there is a hole there, i dont know what it is mean for, but it is same on the other side and the other side doesnt leak. so my guess, its not the problem.

Will appreciate any help or suggestion. PS: the leaves are just from yesterday, parked under a tree. not an issue since i've been dealing with this for the last month.

thank you

hope Maurice sees this posting...

post-66234-0-25037500-1303666280_thumb.j

post-66234-0-17660300-1303666289_thumb.j

post-66234-0-02588300-1303666298_thumb.j

post-66234-0-15063400-1303666791_thumb.j

Maurice is your man here but depending how heavy the rain is in your area I probably would not even drive it in the rain. Park it with a tarp over it until you sort it out or it stops raining.. That imobilizer is down under the carpet and a thick spongelike padding. It can be flooded with out you even knowing it. A new one will cost you an easy $1k at an indie shop as it has to be programed.

Regards, PK

You do know you are supposed to put the top up during rain ? right ? Check all your seals of the top it could be leaking just behind the window and never go to the drain just dumps behind your seat belt and runs down to the floor.

so i read so many threads trying to figure out the source of the leak. Took it to porsche mechanic who couldnt find the source and suggested to change the drain pan on left side (which involved removing the convertible top around 6 hours labor...). So now I've been stuck with putting a towel under the carpet behind the driver side to protect the alarm module box.

I included some pictures if anyone can suggest anything or solution to this problem. The drain pan (picture 1) looks intact, no holes anywere. Tested the drain (picture 2), with all water freely flowing in front of the rear left wheel. The arrow from the inside (picture 3) shows mainly where the water is getting in. My concern is could there be anywhere else, other that the drain pan/hole where water can get there?

one of the pictures is from outside (picture 4), there is a hole there, i dont know what it is mean for, but it is same on the other side and the other side doesnt leak. so my guess, its not the problem.

Will appreciate any help or suggestion. PS: the leaves are just from yesterday, parked under a tree. not an issue since i've been dealing with this for the last month.

thank you

hope Maurice sees this posting...

Karned:

That little hole in your #4 photo is supposed to be there, as it is an extra drain for water that collects in the U-channel on each side into which the forward parts of the clamshell sit. However, you have to make sure that water drains freely through that hole because it if doesn't, the channel will overflow, and some water could end up over the inboard side of the channel near the front and some of it could end up in the passenger compartment. Pour some water slowly into that channel and see if it drains as quickly as the other side's little hole.

To confirm that water is not draining properly through the drain hole in that drain pan, place a pan under the front of the left rear wheel so that you can catch the water that drains out there. Then pour in one measured pint and see if you catch a complete pint in the pan. If you don't you have confirmed that it leaking through some hole or crack in the foam drain tray, OR that it is leaking where the little plastic funnel collects the water under the hole (in your photo #2) in the foam drain tray. You can have a little peek at that little funnel if you remove the V-lever and the thin black plastic disc that protects the foam drain tray as the V-levers turn. Then you can untuck the top outboard edge of the foam drain tray from the sheet metal and carefully pull it up so that you can have a peek under the drain tray.

The V-lever bolt is 19mm and is on with loctite, so it take a bit of force to remove. Also, make sure that take careful note of the position of the V-lever's MALE keyway, because it is possible to reinstall it upside down (i.e., 180 degrees off).

When you pour the pint of water in, also take a close look at where the base of the convertible top frame sits on top of the foam drain tray.

Here is a photo of the places to check under the base of the frame:

post-6627-0-04153700-1303713894_thumb.jp

As you slowly pour water at the base of the frame (where the red lines are), see if the water pools there and then flows towards the rear and into the drain hole. If it disappears under the frame without flowing towards the drain hole, there is a tear or rip under the top frame and you will have to remove at least that side of the frame to make the repair by patching it with Permatex Black Adhesive Silicone Sealant.

Also, make sure that your rear vinyl curtain is properly attached to the rear firewall with the two plastic clips as that curtain also directs water to the drains.

Once you have verified all of the above, it wouldn't hurt to check your front drains (located on each side of the battery drain tray under the front trunk.

As PK says, you cannot be too careful about keeping water away from your immobilizer. !!!

Regards, Maurice.

so i did the leak test, and the water is definitely leaking from the front of the pan. I poured water and i can see water draining from behind the drivers seat back corner in picture 3 above-red arrow (after removing all the foam of course).

I took some pictures and saw a small tear maybe, but just superficial, so i used the silicone adhesive and patched it up. see picture of the tear. I am not sure if this is the cause of the water leak, but i didnt want to remove that part of the top to see under it yet, afraid i might mess something up even more, like not knowing how to put it back together again. but if the leak continues, i guess i have only 1 choice that is to remove that base and see whats under it.

please, let me know what u think. could that tear be causing all that leak?

thank you

post-66234-0-45344500-1303847255_thumb.j

so i did the leak test, and the water is definitely leaking from the front of the pan. I poured water and i can see water draining from behind the drivers seat back corner in picture 3 above-red arrow (after removing all the foam of course).

I took some pictures and saw a small tear maybe, but just superficial, so i used the silicone adhesive and patched it up. see picture of the tear. I am not sure if this is the cause of the water leak, but i didnt want to remove that part of the top to see under it yet, afraid i might mess something up even more, like not knowing how to put it back together again. but if the leak continues, i guess i have only 1 choice that is to remove that base and see whats under it.

please, let me know what u think. could that tear be causing all that leak?

thank you

We need a higher resolution photo to make a clear determination, but I can tell you that just about ANY tear or rip, no matter how small can cause major water infiltration into the cabin...it just takes a little longer for all of the water that collects in the drain pain to drain through smaller rips or tears. It has to be 100% waterproof, especially towards the front of the drain trays because any water in the drain pan will be thrown forward whenever you step on the brakes or whenever you may be on a downward incline.

After the silicone adhesive sealant has cured, try the test again to see if it has stopped coming into the cabin.

If it hasn't, you are going to have to remove, or at least lift up that side of the convertible top frame base. It's not a difficult DIY, and you may not have to remove the other side's base. It's only a matter of three bolts and either 1, 2 or no Phillips screw(s), depending on your year Boxster. Take a look at the instructions starting at the bottom of page 11 and at page 12, and the photo at the bottom of page 12 of the Part I PDF at this link: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Once you take off the three bolts (two of them are circled in red in the photo) and check to see whether there are any phillips screws to remove (blue arrow in the photo), you will be able to lift that side of the base of the top frame enough to be able to inspect the drain tray under it for any other rips or tears.

Here is a photo of the forward part of the driver's side drain tray removed from the car so that you can get an idea of what you are looking at:

post-6627-0-91122100-1303849144_thumb.jp

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir