Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Throtle Body-Intake manifold

REF: 2002 911 996 3.6L

Hi all, what can I say. I am disappointed. I spent 25 years wishing I had a Porsche. Made the plunge 3 years ago, paid top dollar, took out the loan and regreted the day I signed on that dotted line. Since then (2008) Ive done 12000 klms and had the transmission and couplings replaced, oil/roof leaks fixed and the latest today the regulator on the altenator (reconditined). This car has 62000kls on it. Dont German parts last any more or is everything made in the RC. Anyway enough of the crying and winging. My problem now as noted by the auto electrician when removing the alternator is that he noted some oil between the throtle housing and inlet manifold. Should I sit in the car and drive of the cliff now or is this a minor problem not to be to concerned. As previously your opinions are always appreciated. Thank you all.

Please Note correction: Inlet manifold not Intake.

Edited by James-Australia

• Admin

Sounds like a leaking AOS.

He should be able to test for that.

AOS is not a big problem unless the car is a Tiptronic - on Tiptronics it is almost impossible to get to without removing the transmission. Add 4 hours labor if that is the case.

IMHO at this point it is not the mileage but the age that affects your car. That is after about ten years in the sunlight and varying temperatures some plastic and rubber parts start to deteriorate and break. Once you replace these you are usually good for another ten years or so.

It would be nice if car makers (all of them) could find some better materials -- but then they could only sell you a new car every twenty years instead of every ten.

It could be a bad AOS (air/oil seperator.) Have you noticed any white smoke at start up? The AOS is not an expensive part but it is a difficult job on a 996. Unfortunetly it's on the back of the engine. One way to check if it's bad is to start the car and remove the oil cap. Put your hand over the opening of the oil filler tube and see if there is a lot of suction. If there is it may be a bad AOS. The AOS is part of the emissions system and is a common failure in M96 engines.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your car. I have had 4 P cars. One was a nightmare and the others have been trouble free.

Hopefully some others here will chime in with their opinions on your issue...

It could be a bad AOS (air/oil seperator.) Have you noticed any white smoke at start up? The AOS is not an expensive part but it is a difficult job on a 996. Unfortunetly it's on the back of the engine. One way to check if it's bad is to start the car and remove the oil cap. Put your hand over the opening of the oil filler tube and see if there is a lot of suction. If there is it may be a bad AOS. The AOS is part of the emissions system and is a common failure in M96 engines.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your car. I have had 4 P cars. One was a nightmare and the others have been trouble free.

Thank you for th ereply. Yes there is white smoke and quite a lot of it but only on occassion not all the time usually when I havent started it for 5 odd days. The car is parked in the open in a driveway inside the property on a slight forward angle. I notice more smoke in the summer months when idle for a while but less in winter and when I start it up more regular. I did mention that to the local P centre when under warranty but was told it was a common effent and not to worry about it. Hmmmmmmm. Of course it is a Tiptronic. Will do the hand test and see what avails. Will let you know. Thanks

Sounds like a leaking AOS.

He should be able to test for that.

AOS is not a big problem unless the car is a Tiptronic - on Tiptronics it is almost impossible to get to without removing the transmission. Add 4 hours labor if that is the case.

IMHO at this point it is not the mileage but the age that affects your car. That is after about ten years in the sunlight and varying temperatures some plastic and rubber parts start to deteriorate and break. Once you replace these you are usually good for another ten years or so.

It would be nice if car makers (all of them) could find some better materials -- but then they could only sell you a new car every twenty years instead of every ten.

Thank you for the reply. Of course it would have to be a Tiptronic. And I guess it is my fault for pempering it and not driving it enough. A lesson learnt last week when having to replace the battery at $230.00 for bad cells sitting idle. Like my partner keeps saying, use it or loose it, now I know what she means :) . Will do the hand test and see what avails. Will let you guys know. Thanks

Hi all, what can I say. I am disappointed. I spent 25 years wishing I had a Porsche. Made the plunge 3 years ago, paid top dollar, took out the loan and regreted the day I signed on that dotted line. Since then (2008) Ive done 12000 klms and had the transmission and couplings replaced, oil/roof leaks fixed and the latest today the regulator on the altenator (reconditined). This car has 62000kls on it. Dont German parts last any more or is everything made in the RC. Anyway enough of the crying and winging. My problem now as noted by the auto electrician when removing the alternator is that he noted some oil between the throtle housing and inlet manifold. Should I sit in the car and drive of the cliff now or is this a minor problem not to be to concerned. As previously your opinions are always appreciated. Thank you all.

James, Sorry to hear about the problems. I too had a lot of issues with my 99 996 but after the first 4 years of its life I managed to sort them out and for the past 8 years its been a pleasure to drive. Most states in Australia have a Porsche Club, if you are not a member why not join, you will get the chance to use your car at least twice every month for social or competition events. Best of all you will have a lot of fellow Porsche owners you can discuss any problems with and they can suggest good independant workshops who can usually get your car running sweetly for much less than the dealers. Dont give up yet.

Rattles

Thank you for th ereply. Yes there is white smoke and quite a lot of it but only on occassion not all the time usually when I havent started it for 5 odd days. The car is parked in the open in a driveway inside the property on a slight forward angle. I notice more smoke in the summer months when idle for a while but less in winter and when I start it up more regular. I did mention that to the local P centre when under warranty but was told it was a common effent and not to worry about it. Hmmmmmmm. Of course it is a Tiptronic. Will do the hand test and see what avails. Will let you know. Thanks

Hello Phillip, well I did the test, started car, no smoke, took of oil cap and put my hand over it. There is a little suction but not a lot. Noticed the poor engine ratlle as the air was being sucked in but guess thats normal. So I assume a little suction and no smoke at the moment is ok?

James, Sorry to hear about the problems. I too had a lot of issues with my 99 996 but after the first 4 years of its life I managed to sort them out and for the past 8 years its been a pleasure to drive. Most states in Australia have a Porsche Club, if you are not a member why not join, you will get the chance to use your car at least twice every month for social or competition events. Best of all you will have a lot of fellow Porsche owners you can discuss any problems with and they can suggest good independant workshops who can usually get your car running sweetly for much less than the dealers. Dont give up yet.

Rattles

Hi Rattles, well I love the car and guess I really wont give up while I still have some dosh in the bank. Just a little dishearted cause I thought by buying a low klm car and paying extra for the priveledge I would have no problems till after the 100kl point. Thank you for the sugestions.

Hello Phillip, well I did the test, started car, no smoke, took of oil cap and put my hand over it. There is a little suction but not a lot. Noticed the poor engine ratlle as the air was being sucked in but guess thats normal. So I assume a little suction and no smoke at the moment is ok?

That is a good sign.. You should stilll have your tech check the AOS. I hope you get things sorted so you can enjoy the car..

Yeah German cars in general are not top of the reliability chart anymore. I have owned 3 Nissan's (never had to do anything except replace the oil), a Lexus (same) and Prius (same). I have also had 3 Mercedes since 1998 (engine mount failures, various electrical system failures, washer fluid reservior failed) and 2 BMW's (head gasket failure, but generally a little better than the benz) - my friends had all sorts of expensive problems with Audi A4's - so now I took the plunge with an '02 Targa - so far a few minor issues (radio broke, bad turn signal socket, hood shock, cruise control, indicator/combo switch broken) but nothing too expensive yet ... Compared to other exotics I am expecting the P-Car to be relatively reliable - but it is not a Japanese car - so budget a few $K a year for maintenance and hope the engine holds ...

My only worse experience than German cars was my 1967 Triumph Spitfire - but at least the parts were cheap and it was easy to work on .....

Yeah German cars in general are not top of the reliability chart anymore. I have owned 3 Nissan's (never had to do anything except replace the oil), a Lexus (same) and Prius (same). I have also had 3 Mercedes since 1998 (engine mount failures, various electrical system failures, washer fluid reservior failed) and 2 BMW's (head gasket failure, but generally a little better than the benz) - my friends had all sorts of expensive problems with Audi A4's - so now I took the plunge with an '02 Targa - so far a few minor issues (radio broke, bad turn signal socket, hood shock, cruise control, indicator/combo switch broken) but nothing too expensive yet ... Compared to other exotics I am expecting the P-Car to be relatively reliable - but it is not a Japanese car - so budget a few $K a year for maintenance and hope the engine holds ...

My only worse experience than German cars was my 1967 Triumph Spitfire - but at least the parts were cheap and it was easy to work on .....

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I had a number of cars to. I still own an old 300E 1988. Great car and only minor repairs such as trans and tail shaft couplings. Nothing else really. BUT partners 19E 2.6 had major problems with engine cut out-electrical. Had a Nissan 3OOZX to. Not a bad car but some issues with rust and fuel injectors. The Porsche is great and power you cant imagine but so expensive in this region that you hope you have deep pockets. Just had the alternator repaired/reconditioned. Porsche do not recondition so at $1,700 change over or $2400 new plus labour the better option was to the Auto electrician for a reco. He ripped me of to $900 though. 100% mark up on regulater and 5 hours labour at $130 per hour. More then my doctor. But hey he did it the same day and its walking distance to my house so what can I do. My next car will be the 4S hopefully when they become more available. Better see the bank before hand hahahahhaha. Cheers

man that's crazy prices for services in Australia. I'm moving there next year and I think I'll just leave my car in Texas to let my friends drive for those prices, lol. I just did the alternator last month here it cost a grand total of $36 dollars and less than an hour.