Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition switch

Hello,

Noticed this morning that my 2000 Boxster's ignition switch was acting very strange.

They key is very difficult to get in and once it's in, it sometimes will have no resistance and can completely make a full circle in the key hole.

It also gives me trouble taking it out and sometimes the dash lights and gauges are still on after the key finally comes out?

I'm guessing a new switch is needed?

Does anybody have any experience with this type of behavior?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim.

Thanks Loren,

I've seen these articles and other ones from pelican parts.

I'm still trying to figure out if I need a whole assembly or just the switch.

I think my real question is does this behavior sound as if it's just a switch replacement?

Regards,

Jim

It's a $10-$15 switch relay that you have to replace. It's a pain in the rear to get under the dash to replace it. If you're a big guy, it's going to be very difficult to get under the steering wheel area to replace it. Good luck!

Start looking for a flat-head screw driver. Small and short....about 3 inches in length....

Once you get it fixed, pray that you won't set off the airbag light.....then you have to order the Durametric tool to reset the light...about $300

Thanks Loren,

I've seen these articles and other ones from pelican parts.

I'm still trying to figure out if I need a whole assembly or just the switch.

I think my real question is does this behavior sound as if it's just a switch replacement?

Regards,

Jim

Edited by westladog