Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Back for help. This time a radio

I have look around for help on how to install my new Pioneer DEH-33HD (My linkI took out my old factory radio with the melted buttons off and started looking at the diagram for the new radio and one for the wiring harness i found online but none of that seems to help. My question is can anyone direct me in the right direction to installing this head unit

1999 Porsche boxster

factory amp

dash and door speakers

well i originality bought it from best buy. will the kit give me the opportunity to expand to an after market Amp and Sub later on?

Depending on the options your Boxster has, you may already have an amp. Look for a black box just aft of your spare tire in the front trunk. If it's there, then all you'll need to do is splice the stock harness at the amp to pull power and speaker leads into place. Any sub install you consider will be difficult because there's little room in the passenger space, expect to do a bit of wiring to make that happen.

The harness adapters from Crutchfield typically mate an OEM female plug to the factory speaker and power plugs in your dash, then give you leads you can splice to the new stereo's harness. It's a great way to make a clean, reversible install if you sell the car down the road and the new owner wants to go with the OEM setup. If your car didn't come stock with an amp, you'll need to do a fair bit of splicing to create a new harness for the amp. In the meantime, the Crutchfield solution is cheap and effective.

Mark

i got the adapters and everything is working and sounds amazing. i messed up and switched a wire so my radio doesn't have any memory when i turn it off, its annoying having to set my stations. im going to be doing that tomorrow when im back from school. I have an amp, what do i do when i want to install a new one is there an adapter for that or will i have to run separate speaker wires.

i got the adapters and everything is working and sounds amazing. i messed up and switched a wire so my radio doesn't have any memory when i turn it off, its annoying having to set my stations. im going to be doing that tomorrow when im back from school. I have an amp, what do i do when i want to install a new one is there an adapter for that or will i have to run separate speaker wires.

The folks at Crutchfield will tell you if there's an adaptor for your existing amp, but I'd imagine you'd have to splice into the harness that goes to the amp. That's right in the front trunk where most people mount an aftermarket amp, so it can be done without too much effort.

You may get more bang for your buck with installation of rear channel speakers behind the seats; there's a factory hifi kit that places two small tweeters at either side of the stowage compartment under the roll bar. My wife's Boxster has one and it makes a big difference. Hunt the classifieds or call a dismantler, there may already be a prewired harness at the passenger side that one of these units (or a Bose sub) would plug directly into.

Mark

• 8 months later...

I have a '99 Boxster. The car had an original Porshe Radio Traffic Pro. I wasn't getting any bass response. Through trial and error. I replaced the original radio with a Kenwood Excelon KDC 395 radio ($129) The car had a Haes 4X40 amp in the front trunk. Powering the dash and door speakers. The rear speakers were powered by the radio. I kept the wire pretty much the same. I ran the back speakers off the new radio. Disconnected the wires running to the dash speakers and ran new wires directly to the radio, for the front speakers. My new radio has a RCA out for the Subwoofer. I spliced RCA wires from radio to the Haes amp. The amp has a crossover that sends power to Door speakers. The sound is Fantastic! I'm a musician, and now I have door speakers, that really pump. Cheapest and best way to improve the sound in your Boxster. The new radio has a Subwoofer volume control. Amazing Sound.