Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Serial Decode Request

Bristol

Purchased another Porsche today (my 4th currently) - a 1975 911S Targa with 2.7L engine. The VIN matches what it should be. However, I also got another, spare engine very cheap. So cheap, that I didn't really question what it even was (except it was obvious that it was a Porsche 911 six). The engine serial is 6139063 and 911/61. From my research I assume this is from a 1973 2.4L 911T. Does that sound about right? I think I may have found a new engine for my 914 if that is indeed what it is!

Kirk

• Admin

6139xxx would originally be from a 1973 911 T/E engine block.

You would need to look at the cylinders and crank to see if it is a 2.7 liter. The same case was used for all (1973 on) so it could ve a 2.7 or even a 3.0 liter engine.

6139xxx would originally be from a 1973 911 T/E engine block.

You would need to look at the cylinders and crank to see if it is a 2.7 liter. The same case was used for all (1973 on) so it could ve a 2.7 or even a 3.0 liter engine.

Ah... interesting. The engine is supposedly a "race" engine, although the seller didn't really know what had been done to it. The fan shroud has definitely been painted (it's bright yellow). I just thought it was a stock 2.4L after looking up info on the code. I thought that's what the 911/61 designation means. It would make sense if it was a "race" engine though to maybe be something a bit more than a 2.4L. I'll have to figure this one out before I decide which engine to use in the car. Thanks Loren!

Kirk

• Admin

Hopefully it has the 11 blade fan a stock 1975 911 would have likely had the 5 blade fan.

You will likely want the turbo oil cooler in the right front fender instead of the J-tube cooler. too.

Here's a scanned pic of my '76 911S

post-1-0-30244200-1306176298_thumb.jpg

By the way Loren, what do they call that color yellow that your 911 was? My car is black now, but the original body color was this same color yellow. Down the road when I get it re-painted I'll return it to its original color.

Kirk

Hello

as said before the 911/61 should be a Sportomatic T Engine with MFI and 6139 tells the same ( 6(Cyl)1(Type)3(Year)9(Sportomatic) the Count# 063 says it ist the 63 built engine in TE-Sportomatic i assume this engine was build in late Summer/Autum 1972. The US only T Engine with MFI later CIS hat a gold/yellow cooling fan shroud. 11 Blade Fan with Marelli Alternator. Should have the late Marelli Distributor.

Porsche used a new reinforced Magnesium Engine Case with the 2,7 Carrera engine, that Case is named 7R (7th Revision). Previous 5R Cases where stricktly for use with 2,4L Engines and while Porsche switched all 2,7 and 2,4S and later 2,4E to 7R Cases the T engines "used" up the 5R Case stock.

So from that point of view boring the 2,4 Case with 2,7 Cylinderbores is possible but will not be a good choice.

3,0 Engines on 7R Cases didn´t survived long enough in Raceing so Porsche was forced to design/build own MG Cases for the 2,8 and 3,0 RSR engines. Those cases are rare and quite expensive so most go for the later 930 Alloy Cases.

The 2,4TE with MFI is "Chocked" by the MFI Setup and the problem is if you keep MFI you can step up to 2,4E or 2,4S Specs, but uncorking the MFI is very expensive.

It would be simpler to get a Set Carburators either original Weber IDF or IDS or new PMO Designs. Tapp the MFI Injector holes and you have a 130-135 HP engine. Fitting 911 Solex or 911E Cams might push close to 160HP. Fitting 911S Cams will cost to much Tourque without adding top Horsepower as the T Heads are to restrictive to achive 911E or 911S Heads power Level.

However if the engine needs a rebuild porting the heads to S-Spec and use the larger S-Valves isn´t that expensive.

Today with single Spark Plug Ignition and 98Octane high Compression Pistons in Nicasil Cylinders a 2,4L will push short over 200HP while keeping driveable. However the T Engines have "simple" Cranks without Counterwights. The good thing ist the are some 5kg lighter then the S Cranks the bad thing is T-Crank will stress itself and the Case on hig rev levels so this isn´t a long term application.

But using that engine in a 914 makes sense as the 914 Trany/Cluth is limitet to 180HP and also the stock 914/6 Heat exchangers/Headers will only support up to 180HP ( For higher output Porsche used Race headers or 916 Exchangers). Might contact Martin Schneider from MSDS for a 914/6 exhaustsystem.

Grüsse

• 3 months later...

Hello

as said before the 911/61 should be a Sportomatic T Engine with MFI and 6139 tells the same ( 6(Cyl)1(Type)3(Year)9(Sportomatic) the Count# 063 says it ist the 63 built engine in TE-Sportomatic i assume this engine was build in late Summer/Autum 1972. The US only T Engine with MFI later CIS hat a gold/yellow cooling fan shroud. 11 Blade Fan with Marelli Alternator. Should have the late Marelli Distributor.

Porsche used a new reinforced Magnesium Engine Case with the 2,7 Carrera engine, that Case is named 7R (7th Revision). Previous 5R Cases where stricktly for use with 2,4L Engines and while Porsche switched all 2,7 and 2,4S and later 2,4E to 7R Cases the T engines "used" up the 5R Case stock.

So from that point of view boring the 2,4 Case with 2,7 Cylinderbores is possible but will not be a good choice.

3,0 Engines on 7R Cases didn´t survived long enough in Raceing so Porsche was forced to design/build own MG Cases for the 2,8 and 3,0 RSR engines. Those cases are rare and quite expensive so most go for the later 930 Alloy Cases.

The 2,4TE with MFI is "Chocked" by the MFI Setup and the problem is if you keep MFI you can step up to 2,4E or 2,4S Specs, but uncorking the MFI is very expensive.

It would be simpler to get a Set Carburators either original Weber IDF or IDS or new PMO Designs. Tapp the MFI Injector holes and you have a 130-135 HP engine. Fitting 911 Solex or 911E Cams might push close to 160HP. Fitting 911S Cams will cost to much Tourque without adding top Horsepower as the T Heads are to restrictive to achive 911E or 911S Heads power Level.

However if the engine needs a rebuild porting the heads to S-Spec and use the larger S-Valves isn´t that expensive.

Today with single Spark Plug Ignition and 98Octane high Compression Pistons in Nicasil Cylinders a 2,4L will push short over 200HP while keeping driveable. However the T Engines have "simple" Cranks without Counterwights. The good thing ist the are some 5kg lighter then the S Cranks the bad thing is T-Crank will stress itself and the Case on hig rev levels so this isn´t a long term application.

But using that engine in a 914 makes sense as the 914 Trany/Cluth is limitet to 180HP and also the stock 914/6 Heat exchangers/Headers will only support up to 180HP ( For higher output Porsche used Race headers or 916 Exchangers). Might contact Martin Schneider from MSDS for a 914/6 exhaustsystem.

Grüsse

All 2.4's including the T had counterweighted cranks. Only nthe 2.0 & 2.2 T's had the non conterweighted crank. So the bottom end of a 2.4 T uses the same crank as the S ,as well as the 2.7's. Same crank.

Howard