Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What control unit is under drivers seat 2005 997s?

My convertible got a clogged drain and water got under the seats. The car was taken apart and carpets removed and everything was dried out.

Now the rear wing and the top don't operate and the rear lights stay on.

The independent repair shop software says something is wrong with the rear control unit.

I brought it to the Porsche dealer and they said the rear control unit needs to be replaced.

I thought the alarm control module was under the seat not the rear control unit.

I did some research and it pointed to alarm module under the seat.

What is correct?

• 3 months later...

I have had to have this rear control module replaced twice due to water getting into it. Both times the module was fried. The second time, my mechanic drilled holes in the mounting plate so the moisture would not(hopefully) accumulate. I have him clean all the drains at least yearly. Don't ask me where they all are.

The second time, it happened because of a dead battery. The engine box inadvertently got left popped. The battery went dead overnight. With a dead battery, the window will not drop when you close the door and it will not seal properly. It rained and water got in. The entrapped ignition key with a dead battery was an added extra.

The car can behave as if it were posessed when this part goes bad. Flashing lights all over the place, spoiler going up and down, front hood continuously locking and unlocking, horn blowing. The first time, I was out there in my bathrobe in the rain disconnecting the battery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Having this exact problem right now. Drain holes plugged up, water under the drivers seat, and all they issues that MichaelL described.

Just bought the car, and didn't know the drain holes were dirty The car was always garaged....

Any idea what the cost is to replace the rear control module?

• 7 years later...