Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermittent headlights, wipers and heating

I have a 1999 C2 996 that have owned for two years. It has Xenon lights and aftermarket radio. Otherwise stock. During the last six months the headlights started failling intermittently. At first I just restarted engine and they came back on. Then they failed more frequently and occasionally were more difficult to get on, with different lights coming on at different times as described in forum. During about same time I noticed that heating controls sometimes did not work. I read forum and concentrated on headlights and concuded that needed new headlight switch. I replaced and problem has continued with addition that now my wipers frequently do not work. May have to restart engine several times to get them or lights to start working. Seems to be more likely to happen if radio is on. This combination is starting to feel more like ground fault or computer problem. Also wonder if interference among Xenon lights and aftermarket radio. Hoping for some new references in forum or other ideas.r

I followed threads ignition switch and found one that suggested turning key left and that worked to start wipers. So bad ignition switch. Ordered replacement ignition switch and saw DIY for installation. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I replaced ignition switch and it solved the wiper and heater problem but low beams still do not come on. I have lived with it for several months using fog lights and high beams. So now have replaced light switch and ignition switch and both improved eratic performance but I still do not get any low beams. I guess it is possible I got a bad headlight switch. Should I try another one, or are there other component failures that can cause both low beams to go out. Fuses look fine and when checked the voltage at low-beam fuses, the voltage goes up and down at both fuses as turn headlight switch. Any other dianostics to narrow the possible causes?

Edited by bobmacd44

Thanks for suggestion on fuses. I just changed them out and no improvement. Strange. Getting power from switch to the two fuses and yet both lights are out. Is there anything else that can cause both not to fire. Loren had suggested bad battery, but I checked it 3 months ago and seemed fine and even with battery charger on the lights do not work. Maybe something like charge regulator, if there is such a thing?? Maybe should just try to go back to stock.

I had understood that the HID bulbs had really long life and unlikely both to fail at same time, but may be worth a try.

I just tried putting back in stock bulb and disconnecting HID kit and bulb worked. So either something wrong with kit (both lights unlikely) or not generating enough juice to fire Xeon which appears to be common problem in other posts. Perhaps bad contact somewhere along the line.

Edited by bobmacd44