Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I know Porsches are rather scarce here in the heartland of the US... but, I tried setting my time zone on the PCM.. only to find there is NY Time Zone (-5GMT) and Mexico City Time Zone (-6GMT) but no sign at all of Central Time zone.. or Mountain Time Zone.

What's a traveler to do? I tried the Mexico City setting, that didn't work since I guess they don't have Daylight-Savings (called "Summer Time" on the PCM).

Seems like a rather odd oversight....

Edited by deilenberger

• Admin

All should be based on GMT.

In the US that would be:

EST = -5 GMT

CST = -6 GMT

MST = -7 GMT

PST = -8 GMT

For DST just add +1 -- so CDT would be -5 GMT.

I would think you set your local timezone and as you drive PCM should change it for you as you pass into a different zone. That would seem logical - but I have tried using Porsche's PCM.

All should be based on GMT.

In the US that would be:

EST = -5 GMT

CST = -6 GMT

MST = -7 GMT

PST = -8 GMT

For DST just add +1 -- so CDT would be -5 GMT.

I would think you set your local timezone and as you drive PCM should change it for you as you pass into a different zone. That would seem logical - but I have tried using Porsche's PCM.

Loren - true except for daylight savings.. :) So I'd have to select EST (-5GMT with no "summer" time selected..) I tried selecting "Mexico City" -06 GMT but apparently since Mexico City must not use DST, it still wasn't right.

And yes - you would think it SHOULD do it automatically (my Garmin does.. it's along on the dash for the streets the 2010 Porsche $350 disk doesn't know.. and my cell phone does..) but it doesn't. And that's the latest SW update (did the updates about 2 weeks ago when I got the new Navtech disk..) I guess we shouldn't expect too much from a $6,000 GPS that uses $350 update disks.. :( BTW - both the Garmin and the PCM use NavTec maps.. just the Garmin ones are actually updates. The 2010 Porsche updated disk has a data set from 05/2009, and it doesn't include the street a friend lives on that was put in during 2006. I'm not impressed.

Edited by deilenberger

Don there is nothing impressive about the Nav, it was defined in 2002 and contracted out. Any map updates are a premium but the technology remains 2002. There are times I will use PCM and other times I will use TomTom on my iPhone, just the way it is.

Edited by mudman2

I agree there is nothing impressive (except the original price and the prices for map updates..) I do like the instrument cluster display, and that the lady in the dash doesn't nag me with "Recalculating (you idiot!") like the Garmin does. I have SWMBO to handle that task on this trip..

I do use the Garmin when I really want to know where I'm going, it's POI's and street maps are much more up to date (05/09 vs 06/11)..

I switched it to Mexico City this AM, and it happily DID adjust the time zone including "summer time".. have a few more states to go before I go looking for -7GMT.. ;)

Best,